How is your running surviving Covid chaos?

51 watchers
Mar 2020
11:40pm, 20 Mar 2020
2,044 posts
  •  
Canute
We can’t go to pubs, restaurants or cinemas. Parkrun is cancelled. Disruption might continue for 12 months or more. How do we keep sane? Are you still running?
Mar 2020
1:30am, 21 Mar 2020
7,159 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I may start running again!
Mar 2020
7:47am, 21 Mar 2020
15,559 posts
  •  
jennywren
I’m running nearly every day just to get out of the house and feel sane. I don’t go far (4 miles is the longest run this week) and I stay well away from anyone I meet. I always feel much much better when I get home.
Mar 2020
7:50am, 21 Mar 2020
845 posts
  •  
Paul N
Off a cliff, chesty cough has had be grounded for a week and a half.

Increasing think I had/have da bug.
Mar 2020
7:58am, 21 Mar 2020
20,750 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Winter base training week 1 day 6....
Mar 2020
8:12am, 21 Mar 2020
12,699 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Trying to get out every day, short runs and short walks. I live in an area where it’s a short car journey to the middle of scenic nowhere. It’s nice to see others though but it’s usually a brief hello from a distance
Mar 2020
8:17am, 21 Mar 2020
23,543 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Fetch GPS games :-)
Mar 2020
8:21am, 21 Mar 2020
282 posts
  •  
magnumpti
I've got up exactly the same as if I were going to parkrun this morning and I'm going to go for a slightly longer run once I've worked out my WSW and Fetchpoint routes!
CK2
Mar 2020
10:08am, 21 Mar 2020
380 posts
  •  
CK2
Our parkrun has a virtual parkrun today ... although I need to get up to do it! I’m missing running with friends but will continue some short local runs to keep me sane.
Mar 2020
11:47am, 21 Mar 2020
3,844 posts
  •  
westmoors
Trying to keep the routine of 4 runs per week, but now just general solo plods as all races have been postponed.

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Covid-19 case numbers continue to rise exponentially in the UK.

It is even more crucial to do everything we can to slow the rate of onset of new cases. Nonetheless, exercise remains important for our health.

The relevant piece of the legislation in England is:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

Restrictions on movement

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(a) to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money, including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2;

(b) to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

-----
That is an abbreviated version. Here is a link to a more comprehensive specification of section 6:
legislation.gov.uk

Similar regulations apply in Scotland, where section 8, (5) (b) states:
(b) to take exercise, either alone or with other members of their household.
In Northern Ireland, section 5 (2) (b) is the same:
(b) to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

In Wales, the regulations state that you can leave the house no more than once a day for exercise, The relevant section [section 8] states:

(b) to take exercise, no more than once a day, either alone or with other members of the household.

-----------

Here is a link to the guidance regarding a reasonable excuse to leave the house, issued by the National Police Chiefs Council (for England):
college.police.uk
Note added 26th May: unfortunately the clear guidelines issued in April have been taken down and replaced by a more complex collection of documents.
-------------

The fact that the government accepts the importance of exercise places a responsibility on us to exercise in a way that reduces our risk of becoming a clinical case rather than increasing our risk.

Here is a review of the factors that influence the relationship between exercise and function of the immune system
fetcheveryone.com/blog/13360/2020/3#blog403926