How is racing 10k supposed to feel
11:56pm, 18 Sep 2018
DvorakHmm. I'll chuck in my mile splits for my most recent 10K. Stirling, my PB course and one I am pretty familiar with. For reference, I am markedly undertrained and reckon 12km is about the limit of what I could put in a sustained effort for. The course is not pancake flat, but it is certainly flat for Scotland, with most of the elevation change in one gradual descent, and one dip and moderate rise. Splits from gps which seems to have tracked accurately enough.
2. 9:04 (downhill)
6: 9:28 (dip and rise)
7. 8:45 pace
(58:11, which is 9:32 outside that PB :-(.)
About the 4K mark it occurred to me that I was jogging, albeit at a reasonable effort. It also occurred to me that in the circumstances, that felt about right to get me to the end. I did lift it over the last 400m, but not dramatically, so I reckon I paced it right on the day. I'm having another go (on another near-flat course) on Saturday.
About This Thread
- small, cheap 10kms Dec 2017
- How important is a pre-half 10k for pacing? Feb 2017
- 5k to 10k advice please Jul 2016
- 10K TO HALF MARATHON IN THREE WEEKS? Mar 2016
- How do I get speed back for a 10k after a marathon? Nov 2014
- improve 10k time? Dec 2013
- 10K or HM? Oct 2013
- Moving up from 10k to the half May 2013
- Tops tips for upping the distance from 10km to HM May 2012
- Ideal 10k build up? Mar 2012
Buy a Fetch buff
Order now for immediate dispatch!
Join us in 2024 for a part-virtual, part-gathering endurance event to celebrate 20 years of Fetcheveryone!
See all your training overlaid on one interactive map. A great way to remember everywhere you've been
Race Listings League
Which Fetchies have done the most to make our race listings as awesome as they are?