How does Garmin Connect calculate VO2 Max?

17 watchers
Mar 2016
11:17am, 11 Mar 2016
511 posts
  •  
larkim
ndellar - that's the bit that has disappeared for me. What particular garmin watch do you use that with? And can you see VO2 Max reported directly on the phone itself? I'm on a Vivoactive which doesn't have a display functionality on the watch for VO2 Max, so I was wondering if the change to the menus was device specific?
Mar 2016
11:21am, 11 Mar 2016
31,929 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Thanks for that Nat it seems mine was 46 in Nov went up to 48 End of Dec now it's fluctuating between 50/51/52 but currently 52 if I lose a bit more lard who knows ;-)
Mar 2016
11:21am, 11 Mar 2016
31,930 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Confused why there isn't any LT info though
Mar 2016
11:32am, 11 Mar 2016
3,248 posts
  •  
ndellar
Larkim - I run with my Garmin 620 using the Garmin HRM that has all the fancy running dynamics stuff in it.

I upload my runs to the WiFi from the watch as soon as I walk in the door. If I look through the menus on the watch I can see current VO2 max and race predictor (I believe it just reads these times off of lookup tables based on VO2 max reading). 3.23 marathon I wish!

Because I was interested in the VO2 max, rather than drilling in to the reports every time on my PC I added it as a widget on to the main screen of Garmin Connect web page so I can see it when I log in.

I've never specifically configured anything on the iphone app, I'm just permanently logged in with my Garmin credentials and if I go to "more" > Performance etc I can see VO2 max graphs over different periods

Hope that makes sense?
Mar 2016
11:39am, 11 Mar 2016
512 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes, that makes sense - and is in line with what I used to be able to see.

There is a note against the latest update (v.3.4) on the app store which says something along the lines of "makes sure that the performance tab is available for supported devices" which I think when interpreted in the negative ("makes sure that the performance tab is not available for unsupported devices") would probably explain what I can (and can't!) see.

I can see it on the website, but I'd never really been interested in looking there as it is a bit clunky! Still, nice to see I've gone up from 53 to 55 in the last couple of weeks :-)
Mar 2016
11:44am, 11 Mar 2016
3,249 posts
  •  
ndellar
How annoying! I hate it when they give you something useful then take it away as part of an "improvement"

I agree Garmin connect is very clunky, I used to prefer the old version before they re-vamped it, far smoother.

And with that, I'm off out to try and boost my readings up a notch :)
Mar 2016
11:31am, 14 Mar 2016
8,597 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Larkim - exactly same has happened to me. It has disappeared from the same place on the Iphone app (on plus side syncing is now instant once again, which had been taking ages after last few up dates). What a pain. I'm not sure why is should disappear for the Vivoactive, if it had been working before. Some people have several devices - what happens if one "supports" Vo2 max and one doesn't ? I think it may just have been removed.
Mar 2016
11:40am, 14 Mar 2016
8,599 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Also I can't see it on the web site, so: connect.garmin.com and then go to left hand menu with the three lines, I'm guessing? I see nothing there resembling performance stats...
Mar 2016
11:55am, 14 Mar 2016
3,251 posts
  •  
ndellar
It's under "Reports" which isn't the most intuitive place
Mar 2016
11:56am, 14 Mar 2016
517 posts
  •  
larkim
On the Garmin forums I posted to ask about this - they replied that it should never have appeared for Vivoactive users which is why it has now disappeared. I've asked them to rethink this for the sort of reasons you've given.

You can still see it on the GC website though if you add a "report" widget and configure it to show VO2 max.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Just curious really. Only had a garmin device since Christmas, and am using a HRM with it. Was pok...