How Do YOU Long Run..?

14 watchers
May 2014
3:34pm, 28 May 2014
29,809 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Flexibly, and at a speed that's comfortable but allows me to pick my feet up properly rather than plodding, so not much different to the speed at which I'd do a bog-standard hour-long run.

When I started marathon training, I'd grind out the required distance (approximately, because this was back in the map-and-string era) even if I spent the last few miles alternating shuffling and walking. There's no way I'd do that now. If I stop being able to maintain what feels like a decent running form and pace, I'd rather cut the run short and try again another day.
May 2014
3:42pm, 28 May 2014
3,929 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Interesting question :) I mostly pick a distance/route that I fancy and aim for roughly the pace suggested by my current McMillan paces - but I'm not a slave to them, I like to enjoy the Sunday runs - so if I'm feeling a bit tired then I run a bit more slowly. I think Vrap's point is a good one - so at times when I am increasing the distance to beyond what I have run before then I probably would run easier.
May 2014
3:56pm, 28 May 2014
311 posts
  •  
Crash Hamster
Interesting stuff indeed!

I suppose I'm doing some sort of reverse Hadd approach; for my last marathon (aiming at an HR of 160) I did my long runs at 145; this time, 140.
FR
May 2014
4:02pm, 28 May 2014
1,628 posts
  •  
FR
I think that every run should have only ONE technical goal and ONE fitness goal.

Mixing two or more objectives within each is way too complex.
May 2014
5:04pm, 28 May 2014
5,481 posts
  •  
Pestomum
I do my LSR's as a planned run/walk balance with a focus on covering the required distance.
May 2014
5:17pm, 28 May 2014
2,662 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I go out with a distance that I'd like to cover in mind, and an idea of how long I'd like that to take. I like to try to run at a steady pace that I think I can keep up for the entire distance.

Sometimes I find that I speed up a bit in the last couple of miles, but this is never intentional and I'm always rather surprised (in a good way) when it happens.

If, however, I find that I'm slowing down to the point where I'm dragging my feet so much that I'm in danger of tripping over (this has happened on more than one occasion) then I'll cut the run short. It's obviously not a good day.

I guess what I'm saying is that distance and time on feet are what matter most, but pace can also play a part.
May 2014
7:29pm, 28 May 2014
2,415 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
When I was building up the distance of my long runs - preparing for my first (and thus far only) marathon, it was just a question of covering the distance, no matter how slowly.

Post-marathon, I'm using my long runs to try out different RWR ratios, and figure out what sort of pace I can maintain for a half marathon in (gulp) 4 weeks' time. So each time I do a route, I try to go a little faster than I did the last time.

Don't know what I'll do with long runs after the HM, except that I will probably still do one run each week which is consciously further than the others, and expect to be doing it a bit slower than the others.
May 2014
7:30pm, 28 May 2014
30,221 posts
  •  
Foxy
I have cut out all my long runs to focus on Speed work instead - 9.3 is my longest run now & It's working for me :)
May 2014
8:28pm, 28 May 2014
6,857 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Long runs usually at easy pace, sub 75% max. When in marathon training I will increase the effort for the last 5 miles to mapbe MP + 45seconds. Every 4th week the Long run will contain an MP section
May 2014
8:35pm, 28 May 2014
3,894 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Drive to trailhead.

Run for 2 hours. Turn back.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
As a runner and coach I am interested to hear how you fellow runners run your long runs when trainin...