How Do YOU Long Run..?

1 lurker | 14 watchers
May 2014
12:21pm, 28 May 2014
10650 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
As a runner and coach I am interested to hear how you fellow runners run your long runs when training. Do you just to the distance nice and easy, do you set yourself a time goal for the distance, do you do some pace specific work, or something different?

To start us off I'll post what I do, feel free to add your long run thought, what you do and why.

I tend to do two types of long runs...the easy 'time on feet' long run and the 'pace specific' long run. Each have a different purpose...the 'time on feet' run is just to get my body used to running the long miles, whereas the 'pace specific' long runs are to simulate the feeling of running hard(isn) when fatigued etc.
May 2014
12:45pm, 28 May 2014
6893 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
hmm, I can do a selection of all 3. try to run a specific distance at a specific constant pace, ususally quite easy, a good minute outside HM pace. I also do occasional runs where I will di interspace fast half miles or miles at 10k pace. My new thing is to run hard at the end, 5-6 miles, plus a couple below mara pace, 2 at HM, then some fast sections at 10k and 5k (well try too). This new LR is to get em running quicker for the summer, I want to get my 5k time down.
May 2014
12:52pm, 28 May 2014
28132 posts
  •  
Nellers
As a bit of a Hal Higdon fan I do 2 types of long runs.

Most are just about covering the distance and I keep pace down by monitoring my HR and trying not to go above a set point (65 or 70% depending on fitness and training situation).

In race build ups I'll run easy for 3/4s of the set distance as above then try to pick up the pace progressively through the last quarter, usually finishing off somewhere close to Half Marathon pace.
May 2014
12:52pm, 28 May 2014
3879 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Usually by route (i.e get to point X and back) and/or by distance - then run it by feel, but normally around the 9-9.15 mpm range (c/w 7.05ish for 5km and 8.00ish for longer races). I don't normally do pace-specific bits/intervals unless I'm in a hurry to get back... :)
May 2014
12:55pm, 28 May 2014
4584 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I think you're over-complicating it, fellas. Just run, at an easy pace, for a long time. That's it. There's plenty of other time in the week to do tempo, intervals, MP etc.

Some folk like to do MP as part of their long run - if it's occasionally, I think that's fine. If it's regular, then you better make sure that there's *plenty* of other easy miles in the week.

NB - I am assuming that people who are 'long-running' have either marathon or HM as goals. So endurance development is vital to them.
May 2014
12:55pm, 28 May 2014
4585 posts
  •  
paul the builder
x-post, mine was in answer to SOD and WS...
May 2014
12:56pm, 28 May 2014
10378 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I'm almost always carrying a map on a long run. My aim is to enjoy myself and not get lost, or to enjoy getting lost and working out how to get back, preferably before dark. Clearly there are many stops when I run like that, usually about 1/3 of the total time.

Otherwise my only aim is not to stop except to buy drinks at shops or pubs. And to enjoy it.
May 2014
12:59pm, 28 May 2014
726 posts
  •  
Spleen
All my long runs are "nice and easy". My philosophy is that I train either speed or endurance, never both. Generally they are at least 15 miles (no shorter than a half marathon) and as I live in Bristol there's usually some good hill work involved, so I never finish feeling anything other than tired.
May 2014
2:45pm, 28 May 2014
993 posts
  •  
Canute
Renato Canova, probably the most successful marathon coach ever and coache to several of the leading African marathoners and half-marathoners, emphasises the need for strength endurance. The key runs in his marathon training program are long runs at or near MP. However many of his elite runners also do a lot of easy running.

I do mainly easy long runs but I also try to incorporate some MP running in about half of my long runs.
May 2014
2:53pm, 28 May 2014
4191 posts
  •  
daviec
I do my longest run at an easy effort. No point in worrying about pace given the topography and generally windy weather round here. HR alert at 75% of max, and off I go. Midweek I do the same but not quite as long as the weekend - eg 15 on a Wed 20+ on a Sun.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
As a runner and coach I am interested to hear how you fellow runners run your long runs when trainin...

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

UTMOST

Beat your league rivals to gain weekly promotion. Compete at every distance from a mile to a marathon.

Marathon Prediction

We delve deeper to give you greater insights when working out your goal marathon time.

Fetch Everyone Running Club

Join our UKA-affiliated club for event discounts, London Marathon ballot places, the chance to get funded for coaching qualifications, and a warm feeling inside.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 108,551 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here