How do you decide what races to do?

16 watchers
Apr 2013
1:11pm, 17 Apr 2013
15,748 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I think that V'Rap hit the nail on the head. There are so many good races out there it is difficult to choose.

But to whittle down the huge field for me the 'A' race has to be a challenge, not time-wise (that's dull and very boring) but whether or not I can finish it.

My two DNFs at Foxy's events were cause I really couldn't be arsed with 'boring' running, so the 'A' race has to be interesting terrain.

Again, as stated by V'Rap, the 'B' or 'C' races are fill-in's, to be social, and therefore I'm not going to travel great distances.

A big factor is the Race Director's and marshalling, some I've stumbled upon by chance, e.g. Bungay Marathon.

But others, the organisers are runners and know what it takes to put on a great race.
Apr 2013
1:13pm, 17 Apr 2013
2,628 posts
  •  
Pestomum
Do I know anyone nearby to stay with?
Will there be cake?
Apr 2013
2:03pm, 17 Apr 2013
809 posts
  •  
macapple
1) Is it local?
2) Is OH available/happy to babysit?
3) How soon is it since my last one (in order to help #2)

Being the main childcarer for 2 young children is quite race limiting!
Apr 2013
9:19pm, 17 Apr 2013
1,564 posts
  •  
CStar
What V'rap said in her earlier post, plus how many can I get away with before SWMBO reasserts her assumption that 'you're obssessed' and stops me going out. Reached this point again recently :-( Will be ok for mid week 10K's, but otherwise probably nothing till July now. Should be able to squeeze in a decent HM in the autumn.

Given the opportunity I would run a race pretty much every weekend!
Apr 2013
9:26pm, 17 Apr 2013
19,660 posts
  •  
ogee
Peer pressure ;-)
Apr 2013
10:51pm, 17 Apr 2013
28,610 posts
  •  
Foxy
haging out with the wrong crowd Ogee ;)
Apr 2013
10:56pm, 17 Apr 2013
28,611 posts
  •  
Foxy
sometimes I see the weekends I'm free & find a race that day.

Sometimes I pick a race for a specific reason - i.e to finish the majors, or new States, new counties or the social side - I love running in Cornwall & Cumbria scenic & great people but neither are local.
WA
Apr 2013
11:01pm, 17 Apr 2013
4,000 posts
  •  
WA
Location - can I get there and back in a day? If not, is it a family friendly location to allow a mini holiday?

Price (including any accommodation costs)
Challenge
Scenic value

Not necessarily in that order
Apr 2013
11:02pm, 17 Apr 2013
835 posts
  •  
SuperDave
How much money do I stand to lose when I inevitably have to pull out with an injury?
May 2013
11:18am, 16 May 2013
240 posts
  •  
kaiser
Ive decided this year to only do races I havent done before.

I liked a few of the races last year but never really loved any of them.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
There are loads of them, and many of you race an awful lot. How do you decide? I have a couple of fa...