How do you decide what races to do?

16 watchers
Nov 2012
10:55am, 15 Nov 2012
2,372 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
There are loads of them, and many of you race an awful lot. How do you decide? I have a couple of favourites, but outside of that I am looking at 2013, thinking I have a vague plan and five minutes later adding another couple of races to the list :-) Like I had totally forgotten about the Bupa 10k when planning, then I found out about the Bournemouth racing festival due to Marathon Talk (family in area so easy accomodation solution), then threads on here added the Maidenhead Half to the mix. This is just in the past few days.

Do you just toss a coin? If you have a target race, such as a marathon, do you just allow yourself one Half in the build-up and that's it? if you mainly race 10k's do you race as many as you can find? Do you have no method at all and just rock up to races on the day, as and when you find out about them? Do you budget yourself because races can be bloody expensive?

Or is it just me being completely unable to make decisons?
Nov 2012
11:01am, 15 Nov 2012
21,129 posts
  •  
Frobester
I have a number of criteria.
Does it look like it's good value for money?
Is it organised by NikeAppleStarbucksAmazonNowtAboutRunning.com or my local running club
If it's a 10k or less, does it have a fun run with it for the kids?
Is it offroad? (or if it's road, is it a least an interesting route, ie not through endless housing estates)
What's the course profile?
Will the rest of the world want to enter, and thus do I have to pick the right 5 seconds on the day entries are open online?

That's about it for me.
Nov 2012
11:11am, 15 Nov 2012
14,748 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Proximity is the main one. I've done most of the races in my local area at least once.

I don't much like huge races and I can't afford to spend a fortune on travelling and accommodation, so I tend to stay local, Edinburgh Marathon is the furthest afield race I have done (and also the largest). Though it would be nice to do a "destination" race at some point (I fancy the Midnight Sun marathon).
Nov 2012
11:17am, 15 Nov 2012
1,118 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
Firstly - distance and then location. I like to race close to home, so will always consider a race that's less than an hour's drive. But I'm also keen to race in pretty places, so have entered (but not run) a couple in the New Forest.

I then look at the race profile - massively hilly races are out, before reading the RW reviews. Badly organised races get struck off the list.

And finally, timing - I can't race from early May until mid-September.
Nov 2012
11:20am, 15 Nov 2012
2,373 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
For pretty in the New Forest, I can heartily recommend the Exbury 10km WT. Pretty, and flat :-) One of the few I have locked in for next year. You probably already know all about it though. What's the reason for no racing in the summer (if you don't mind me asking)?

Value for money a definite issue for me. Loved the Great South, but over £40 next year? Sheesh.
Nov 2012
11:27am, 15 Nov 2012
1,119 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
HB - my asthma is horrible in the summer and I have to really curtail my running. Gentle easy runs are ok sometimes, but anything speedy and I'm buggered, so to speak.
Nov 2012
11:27am, 15 Nov 2012
4,408 posts
  •  
becca7
Since I don't drive the biggest factor for me is how easy it is to get to the race by public transport and, in some cases, whether there is suitable overnight accommodation. For races that I have not done before I look at the reviews that others have given. I do a fair number of inaugural events as well, even though they can tend to have teething problems. To some extent it comes down to timing in relation to target races.
Nov 2012
11:28am, 15 Nov 2012
2,374 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Ah, that is unfortunate WT :-(

That was a consideration for me becca, in that the Bournemouth one is new (I think) so I wondered if I'm paying just to be a knackered guinea-pig :-)
Nov 2012
11:30am, 15 Nov 2012
7,534 posts
  •  
mulbs
last time I entered a shed load of races was when Fecth was down for maintenance - cost me a fortune!

I have some oldies but goodies that I run whenever I can, I look (if it's a smaller race* to see if I'm likely to be last finisher by some time and if it's a race that's clearly for whippets then I don't bother, after that it's where it is and what it's likely to be like- nothing toofar unless it's something I REALLY fancy doing. I'd like to be a race tourist if I had enough cash and free time - roll on the saga years!
Nov 2012
11:33am, 15 Nov 2012
4,409 posts
  •  
becca7
Herman, when I saw Bournemouth Marathon I was tempted but then I saw that it was organised by the Edinburgh Marathon people and that put me off.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
There are loads of them, and many of you race an awful lot. How do you decide? I have a couple of fa...