Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

How do you decide what races to do?

16 watchers
May 2013
1:52pm, 16 May 2013
1385 posts
Hackett
Kaiser , I don't love any races to be fair .....
May 2013
2:01pm, 16 May 2013
4641 posts
leaguefreak
2 young kids, so ....

Can I be home to spend time with the kids in the afternoon?
Any other Fetchies doing it?
Check the results to make sure I won't be last by half an hour.

Just recently did a 10k with fun run/family activities - chosen because near my mum's. The kids loved it, so now looking for ones with fun runs and easy to get to.

Also I try to do Penny Lane Striders 10k because I loves it; I am never ever ever ever doing the Liverpool Women's 10k or any of its derivatives. It's not a "bad race" - it's just I've hated it twice and life's too short. But Mulbs always does it and loves it, so I guess it's personal taste.
May 2013
2:10pm, 16 May 2013
4533 posts
rf_fozzy
Various reasons. I've a tendency to do some races every year because I enjoy them, or because they are Champs races etc.

As I get better on the fells, I'm tending to do more and more fell races and less on the roads. In fact, I haven't done a road race since London Marathon I think .

This year, I decided to do all the English Fell Champs races (except for Wasdale - not ready for that just yet!!), because they were the champs races and it meant I would enter 5 races I'd never done before.

I then fit in orienteering races when I can - this often means I do a lot of races, but I like racing. Things might change a bit when I start marathon training for Snowdonia.
May 2013
3:09pm, 16 May 2013
3479 posts
Too Much Water
Generally the criteria are - near home, organised by a club, not a charity or commercial venture, hills in a road race not always a bad thing, cheap to enter.

Don't give a monkeys about the goodie bag. The option to have a shower and a cuppa afterwards is more important
May 2013
3:15pm, 16 May 2013
7963 posts
McGoohan
Largely ditto. And I'm not bothered about the shower. I'll just stink on public transport :-o

Not put off if it's a charity event as clubs tend to be involved in the support/org/marshalling etc.

I'd prefer not to have a goodie bag/medal if it made the entry fee cheaper
May 2013
3:21pm, 16 May 2013
615 posts
Topcat2
Again ditto for me but prefer a medal and it to be a race i havemnt done before or done in ages

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
There are loads of them, and many of you race an awful lot. How do you decide? I have a couple of fa...