How do you decide what races to do?

16 watchers
May 2013
1:52pm, 16 May 2013
1,385 posts
  •  
Hackett
Kaiser , I don't love any races to be fair .....
May 2013
2:01pm, 16 May 2013
4,641 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
2 young kids, so ....

Can I be home to spend time with the kids in the afternoon?
Any other Fetchies doing it?
Check the results to make sure I won't be last by half an hour.

Just recently did a 10k with fun run/family activities - chosen because near my mum's. The kids loved it, so now looking for ones with fun runs and easy to get to.

Also I try to do Penny Lane Striders 10k because I loves it; I am never ever ever ever doing the Liverpool Women's 10k or any of its derivatives. It's not a "bad race" - it's just I've hated it twice and life's too short. But Mulbs always does it and loves it, so I guess it's personal taste.
May 2013
2:10pm, 16 May 2013
4,533 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Various reasons. I've a tendency to do some races every year because I enjoy them, or because they are Champs races etc.

As I get better on the fells, I'm tending to do more and more fell races and less on the roads. In fact, I haven't done a road race since London Marathon I think .

This year, I decided to do all the English Fell Champs races (except for Wasdale - not ready for that just yet!!), because they were the champs races and it meant I would enter 5 races I'd never done before.

I then fit in orienteering races when I can - this often means I do a lot of races, but I like racing. Things might change a bit when I start marathon training for Snowdonia.
May 2013
3:09pm, 16 May 2013
3,479 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Generally the criteria are - near home, organised by a club, not a charity or commercial venture, hills in a road race not always a bad thing, cheap to enter.

Don't give a monkeys about the goodie bag. The option to have a shower and a cuppa afterwards is more important
May 2013
3:15pm, 16 May 2013
7,963 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Largely ditto. And I'm not bothered about the shower. I'll just stink on public transport :-o

Not put off if it's a charity event as clubs tend to be involved in the support/org/marshalling etc.

I'd prefer not to have a goodie bag/medal if it made the entry fee cheaper
May 2013
3:21pm, 16 May 2013
615 posts
  •  
Topcat2
Again ditto for me but prefer a medal and it to be a race i havemnt done before or done in ages

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
There are loads of them, and many of you race an awful lot. How do you decide? I have a couple of fa...