How do I tape my xc spikes on securely so they don't fall off?

1 watcher
Feb 2014
3:55pm, 20 Feb 2014
2,273 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Hi everyone. Please don't laugh but in my last xc race I nearly lost a shoe and I've seen people using what looks like duct tape to keep them on. Does anyone know where/how I do the taping so that I don't cut off the circulation and inhibit the movement of my feet please?

Thank you very much!
Feb 2014
6:26pm, 20 Feb 2014
470 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Do you think your spikes are too big for you Claire ? All the spikes I've had are a tight fit, and as long as the laces are tied normally tight, then no way would they get sucked off in a bog.

If you want to try the duct tape then I can only guess at over the midfoot/laces area on top, and behind the spikes underneath, but I wouldn't have thought you'd want any tape around your ankles, but I've never tried it, nor ever seen anyone do it, so no idea really.......
Feb 2014
6:41pm, 20 Feb 2014
407 posts
  •  
Johnny Panic
People put it over their laces... but I've never seen the point. It might be something that had a purpose in the 1970s and has been needlessly continued (like working men's clubs).
Feb 2014
3:12pm, 21 Feb 2014
5 posts
  •  
ancient
I put tape round my XC shoes for the Southerns. Was warned not to tape too tightly as could restrict movement. Idea is to put tape on top of laces and round bottom of shoes. Still got a bit of movement around heel, but probably helped as mud was very gluey in places. Just used ordinary parcel tape. Some people prefer to have long laces and loop round shoes to ensure they stay on.
Feb 2014
3:58pm, 21 Feb 2014
2,276 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Thank you very much everyone. I'll try over my laces and under the shoe below the spikes. Just so long as it doesn't make it worse then at least I've done everything I can. My shoes may be a little big but I have narrow feet so need the size I wear for length but they are a little wide.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by clairevmc
Hi everyone. Please don't laugh but in my last xc race I nearly lost a shoe and I've seen people ...