How cold is to cold to run

7 watchers
Jan 2013
11:24am, 20 Jan 2013
5,666 posts
  •  
simbil
Not sure about that JB, Mrs Simbil x-country skied a lot when she lived in Canada down to -30C, as did her 50 year old mum! I don't think there is much to fear beyond frozen nose hairs.

I guess it's like anything though, if you are not used to it, it might be uncomforable or in rare cases dangerous for you.
Jan 2013
11:34am, 20 Jan 2013
15,093 posts
  •  
FenlandFunRunner
Don't run fast, breathe nasally and it's all good, in the flat lands I don't think it will ever get too cold for me to run.
Jan 2013
11:34am, 20 Jan 2013
15,094 posts
  •  
FenlandFunRunner
'for me NOT to run'
Jan 2013
11:36am, 20 Jan 2013
16,788 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Not all of them...

fasterskier.com
Jan 2013
12:09pm, 20 Jan 2013
568 posts
  •  
Geprig
Based on my experience at altitude in Colorado over the holidays, when it was 0 f, it's too cold to run when exposed flesh is at risk of frostbite.

It's also too cold to run when you need to wear so many clothes to avoid chilling as you warm up that you get too hot when you have warmed up, because if you stop the cold starts working on your seat and chills you quicker than you'd think possible. If it's warm enough to snow generally its warm enough to run.
Jan 2013
12:29pm, 20 Jan 2013
3,375 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Nordic skiers probably have 'asthma' so they can take asthma medication to improve lung capacity, as do many other endurance athletes.
Jan 2013
12:35pm, 20 Jan 2013
5,667 posts
  •  
simbil
There might be a bit of that TMW.

JB,
Not a very good article that one, as the comments below it point out. Exercise-induced bronchospasm is as I understand it a condition that some people have but is different from chronic asthma in that it is not set off by irritants in the air. If you have that condition, cold and dry air can set it off or sudden changes in temp and humidity. People with it can lessen the impact by nose breating as suggested by Fenland and by covering their nose and mouth with a scarf.
There is no peer reviewed evidence that I have seen that says excersising in the cold can cause either chronic asthma or exercise-induced bronchospasm for a person that previously had neither. So, I'd say if you don't have either, you have little to fear from running in the cold.
Jan 2013
12:44pm, 20 Jan 2013
393 posts
  •  
longwayround (LWR)
Geprig, there's no recorded temperature where it has been too cold to snow. I agree with the rest of what you say.

When I lived in Russia, freezing conditions tended to convert runners into well-wrapped joggers but mainly cross-country skiers and skaters. And old women would gleefully beat with sticks anyone foolish enough not to be well-wrapped.
Jan 2013
12:47pm, 20 Jan 2013
50,066 posts
  •  
Gobi
-50 before you will have lung issues, body is smart

Dress well and run fast
Jan 2013
12:56pm, 20 Jan 2013
5,669 posts
  •  
simbil
-1 before you have to wear vest and shorts with evening gloves, apparently :)

About This Thread

Maintained by pinkladykat
-8 with out the windchill it's saying -14 with windchill brrrrrrr . So what's to cold to run , yes...