hotels

5 watchers
Oct 2011
4:24pm, 6 Oct 2011
5,815 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
The accommodation was clean and basic. It was well located for Covent Garden Tube (5 minutes walk) and Charing Cross trains to Greenwich (15 minutes walk). It is about 20 minutes walk from the finish. Walking from the finish back to the hotel may seem like a bad idea but faced with the up and down stairs in the underground then a slow walk is the least painful option. Breakfast was good. Cereal, toast, fruit, juice etc. You could have bacon etc if you wanted it. It was served early enough as well. Being theatreland it was a bit noisy all through the night but I was on the 10th floor so not bothered too much by it.
Oct 2011
4:25pm, 6 Oct 2011
3,255 posts
  •  
becca7
If price is an issue what about Balham ? I stayed there when I did VLM two years ago. As I recall it was a direct and short train journey to Victoria to pick up the VLM train there. Cheap hotel with good reviews on Trip Advisor is Balham Lodge.
Oct 2011
4:28pm, 6 Oct 2011
1,187 posts
  •  
curly45
I think there are some things to bear in mind - it will be busy, but its London - there are always rooms somewhere!

So narrow down your choices, decide start, finish or elsewhere for location and then have a think about your budget and your number of nights. As you are flying, you could land at City airport and stay near the expo one night then stay somewhere else on Sunday for example. PLenty of options, remember you can travel to the start from anywhere pretty much, it just depends how many times you want to change!

booking.com is also good for a scout around. Then check your shortlist on tripadvisor just to be sure before you book ;)
Oct 2011
4:33pm, 6 Oct 2011
1,188 posts
  •  
curly45
Oh and if you want a quiet journey to the start then be somewhere on the route of the 185 bus (although you do have to pay a whole £2.20 or £1.20 on oyster), its never crowded unlike the trains :)
Oct 2011
4:38pm, 6 Oct 2011
13,310 posts
  •  
Stumpy
I would vote for not staying near the start. will be a pain to get back to after the finish with so many people milling about. stay somewhere nearer the finish or easy to travel to from the finish.

covent garden/theatreland, Kings cross, anywhere on a direct line from Victoria/waterloo

i guess it depends on whether it is just you or you and family staying as to your choice..... i would imagine the travelodges are full by now (there's an excellent one near the london eye, i think)
Oct 2011
4:38pm, 6 Oct 2011
2,386 posts
  •  
Thistle.
Thanks peeps. The one in convent garden still has rooms so that's an option.

Price aint an issue.

What's the one your at Deegee?
Oct 2011
4:40pm, 6 Oct 2011
2,387 posts
  •  
Thistle.
Booking it before I leave for running club later that's for sure lol.

Travelling on my own.
Oct 2011
4:48pm, 6 Oct 2011
1,189 posts
  •  
curly45
If price is not an issue then this place is supposed to be amazing:
ecclestonsquarehotel.com
Oct 2011
4:56pm, 6 Oct 2011
5,817 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
If price wasn't an issue for me, I'd be staying at the Savoy, not the Covent garden travellodge - although the two are not that far apart...
But I think Thistle meant that it didn't need to be bargain basement prices.
Oct 2011
5:08pm, 6 Oct 2011
3,256 posts
  •  
becca7
Park Plaza Victoria was where I stayed last year and was handy for getting trains to the start plus they put on extras for marathon runners e.g. early breakfast and the use of rooms, toileteries and towels in the afternoon to get clean.

About This Thread

Maintained by Thistle.
Being a first timer, I am looking for suggestions of hotels in the surrounding area. I am guessing ...