Hot weather running

4 watchers
Jul 2022
11:01am, 1 Jul 2022
214 posts
  •  
forever
I have found as I have got older I am really being affected by heat and humidity. Even over the 5k distance I am overheating in the last mile. I am looking at my hydration at the moment to see if this could help.
Jul 2022
11:50am, 1 Jul 2022
17,409 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The more "trained" you are, the less heat should make an impact. Unless it gets extreme (for the UK high 20s upwards).

Similarly with humidity.

Obviously heatstroke and sunstroke are definitely things to be concerned with over longer races for all runners

Perfect running weather is a crisp 2C XC race.
Jul 2022
12:11pm, 1 Jul 2022
2,670 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Nothing to add beyond anecdotal stuff, but I struggle with humidity as much as heat.

Over probably 18 degrees is rather warm for me, over 24 degrees and I'm not running. Too hot. I have 'run' in temps close to 30 degrees and it was horrible.

Having a buff or hat you can put into cold water and drape over your head or neck helps.

I would usually avoid racing in the high summer.

Much happier in the cold and damp. I can only recall a handful of occasions when I have been cold (whilst moving - standing still is a different matter!)
jda
Jul 2022
12:50pm, 1 Jul 2022
12,841 posts
  •  
jda
When living in Japan I was doing long runs in full sun at times. Always with a hat, carrying a water bottle and sometimes stopping at vending machines on the way. It was a struggle and I would end a lot lighter than I started.

Of course the recent news reports on Japan’s current heatwave were illustrated by pics of people jogging in the middle of Tokyo :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
Spotted this article which has some interesting claims:

runabc.co.uk

States that heat costs 1-5 secs per mile, per degree over 15C or so, with elites at the low end and slower runners at the high end. Perhaps that's a broad enough range that it's not terribly useful. I'm sure the 15C threshold will also vary from person to person (and also with other things like sunshine).

Looks like this is all based on marathons, I'd expect a...