jda
Jun 2022
12:02pm, 30 Jun 2022
12,836 posts
  •  
jda
Spotted this article which has some interesting claims:

runabc.co.uk

States that heat costs 1-5 secs per mile, per degree over 15C or so, with elites at the low end and slower runners at the high end. Perhaps that's a broad enough range that it's not terribly useful. I'm sure the 15C threshold will also vary from person to person (and also with other things like sunshine).

Looks like this is all based on marathons, I'd expect a smaller impact (but still an impact) down to 10k and maybe 5k, though perhaps there's not so much of a threat of overheating (incl. dehydration) in a short distance. I've certainly struggled towards the end of a hot 10k in previous summers.
Jun 2022
12:10pm, 30 Jun 2022
17,400 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Humidity can be the bigger factor though.
Jun 2022
12:52pm, 30 Jun 2022
741 posts
  •  
Shades
runworks.com

This race calculator has an option for comparison of times in varying temperatures.

As said, some people cope better than others. For me humidity makes a huge difference.
Jul 2022
9:22am, 1 Jul 2022
14,405 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
The newest Garmin watches track training in temperatures and track temperature acclimatisation.
Jul 2022
9:27am, 1 Jul 2022
18,235 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
That 5 second cost calculation would fit with my experience at a 10k last night - interesting :) Heart rate suggests I couldn't have worked much harder.
Jul 2022
9:34am, 1 Jul 2022
1,282 posts
  •  
paulcook
In terms of acclimatisation, does anyone do specific heat training? I’ve an ultra I expect to be hot and been doing some training with jacket on even in hot weather. I’m not expecting it to make much difference but hopefully I might be a bit more comfortable being uncomfortably hot.
jda
Jul 2022
9:46am, 1 Jul 2022
12,840 posts
  •  
jda
I think you're probably doing the right thing. Another important factor would be taking on fluid, would be sensible to make sure that is sorted. I just generally avoid hot races, or at least I don't expect to do well and don't beat myself up over it :-)
Jul 2022
9:53am, 1 Jul 2022
18,184 posts
  •  
larkim
Ross Tucker et al on the cold impact
play.acast.com

Ross Tucker at al on the heat impact
play.acast.com

Decent science backed stuff in both of these at the opposite ends of the temperature spectrum.

I definitely notice a difference from about 15-16 deg and above, but its 19+ and especially solar radiance that get me; and humidity changes.

Hard to completely unpick as I'm not race fit at the moment, but my bpm at normal training paces are through the roof at this point in the year, and I get into a cycle of not wanting to train/run because of the heat and that exacerbates the fitness impact!
Jul 2022
10:42am, 1 Jul 2022
18,236 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I definitely notice a drop in pace against heart rate in warm weather - particularly for longer efforts/races. Decent hydration definitely helps.
Jul 2022
10:46am, 1 Jul 2022
25,538 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Not that much of a problem up here, although the sheer unpredictability of hot weather turning up in Scotland can cause issues. Not a great chance of acclimatisation.

One thing with these calculations tends to be that they are based on official (shade) temperatures, not what people are actually running in. Massive difference between an overcast 20°C and a sunny one, when a thermometer in the sun might read 30+. That's when the problems come in.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
Spotted this article which has some interesting claims:

runabc.co.uk

States that heat costs 1-5 secs per mile, per degree over 15C or so, with elites at the low end and slower runners at the high end. Perhaps that's a broad enough range that it's not terribly useful. I'm sure the 15C threshold will also vary from person to person (and also with other things like sunshine).

Looks like this is all based on marathons, I'd expect a...