Hot v Cold Treatment

1 watcher
Jan 2013
11:53am, 14 Jan 2013
2,168 posts
  •  
clare1976
I was wondering what people think re the merits of the above for treating (a hopefully minor) injury and how it works in practice?

I have pulled my right hamstring while running earlier and now have a sore spot when I press in hard above the back of my knee. I have had hot / cold treatment suggested and obviously I know about using an ice pack and I have one for such uses, but I have never used 'warm' or 'hot' treatment before. What do people use for it? A hot water bottle? Do you do them one straight after another? and in which order if so?

Keen to nip this one in the bud as quickly as possible so all advice welcome - thanks!
Jan 2013
7:42pm, 14 Jan 2013
2,169 posts
  •  
clare1976
Anybody? :-(

Am sticking to ice pack for now - googled hot n cold treatment and it suggested you shouldn't use heat for first 48 hrs or so. But not sure I trust Dr Google fully so any real life views / experience welcome!
Jan 2013
8:41pm, 14 Jan 2013
14,706 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Ice will reduce inflammation and pain and would potentially be more helpful early on. Warm will improve blood flow which could help recovery and help you warm up (which might limit any secondary injuries).

No real advice on when to switch I am afraid. Maybe ice whilst you are still resting it, and warmth when you gently start to mobilise again?
Jan 2013
9:04pm, 14 Jan 2013
2,170 posts
  •  
clare1976
thanks Johnny, makes sense
Jan 2013
9:15pm, 14 Jan 2013
9,479 posts
  •  
Girlie
When My knee was very painful I was advised to alternate between ice and heat for around 10 mins or so on each. I used to do it 2-3 times, depending on how painful it was.

I used a gel ice pack and a hot water bottle in that order.
Jan 2013
9:27pm, 14 Jan 2013
18,274 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
I tend to go by: Acute injury - first 24 hours - cold stuff.

Thereafter warm stuff
Jan 2013
2:52pm, 15 Jan 2013
2,171 posts
  •  
clare1976
Thanks Girlie and eL Bee!

I have done ice pack only so far (first thing and then twice in the evenings as not practical in my working day), but am planning on a gym session later so will think about using heat on the area before and / or after as well. It doesn't feel so sore now, just feeling generally tight on my hamstrings which means the usual stretch more - so I shall do that too!
Jan 2013
3:00pm, 23 Jan 2013
19,067 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Does anyone do (or know about) the durations for hot/cold? Is it as much as 15-20 mins alternating? The Furman book I was reading said total immersion (e.g. a bath) is preferable, but I can't sit my legs in an ice (or even just cold) bath for more than about 1-2 mins.

I can understand the theory that alternating hot and cold constricts and dilates the capillaries, increasing blood flow and hence aiding healing. It's just that it's cold and uncomfortable! Ta. :-)G
Jan 2013
4:48pm, 25 Jan 2013
19,088 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I guess no one does this (right enough, it does sound tough and weird - but I thought that described about 80% of Fetchland and hence there'd be a few absolute fanatics for hot/cold treatment?! ) :-)G
Jan 2013
1:07pm, 27 Jan 2013
3,579 posts
  •  
Kieren
I'm not a fan of cold unless to train again. So If I am training legs hard, I might wrap them in an iced towel to delay inflammation / recovery. You can then train hard again before resting. Heat & getting the blood there generally helps fix things.

However, often we head too fast. That's why we get scars. Delaying healing can help prevent scar tissue forming - so maybe cold treatment might assist with that? Cross friction massage (painful) also delays healing & helps to avoid scar tissue.

Once you are out of the acute stage, it might be worth looking at the massage option. If you have a slight rip & scar tissue you will likely notice it in the cold weather and re-injure that part quite easily.

About This Thread

Maintained by clare1976
the merits and practicalities of using hot v cold treatments for injury...