Hokas - Increasing the Heel/Toe Drop

4 watchers
Jun 2013
10:12pm, 29 Jun 2013
176 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Hellen - do you know what thickness these are, can't tell from the photo ?

I used to use full length Sorbothane insoles in hillwalking boots years ago and they were quite thick, but maybe the heel ones are not so thick.

Might look around for similar style things to see if you can get them in various thicknesses.

Thanks for the idea
Jun 2013
10:34pm, 29 Jun 2013
8,641 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I wear orthotics in my Hokas, and ran 28 miles in them today (had only run 11 in them up until today). My "normal" shoes have a 9 or 10mm drop.

They were fine, as were my achilles/calves (may need reviewing tomorrow!), but I found them very "roll-y" on the grassy terrain, especially on the paths across the hill with camber. Great shoes, wrong terrain :-)
Jun 2013
8:47am, 30 Jun 2013
14,362 posts
  •  
hellen
I think the ones I have are about 5mm
Jan 2016
7:35pm, 10 Jan 2016
425 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Gus, how did you get on with your Hoka's? Have you bought another pair? I ran 21 miles of mud today in Stinson Trails and their grip was totally useless. I doubt their all terrain shoe would have coped either. Should have worn my Mudclaws but my feet need cushioning at the moment.
Jan 2016
7:53pm, 10 Jan 2016
1,591 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
On my 3rd pair now Cam ( Challenger ATR ), but just use them on road or decent forest roads and canal paths, wouldn't trust them on single track, or anything really muddy.

Have done all my marathon training "long runs", anything over say 16 miles, in them for a couple of years now. But go to a proper trail shoe if I think/know the terrain will be in the slightest slippy.
Jan 2016
8:18pm, 10 Jan 2016
426 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Cheers Gus. The Challenger ATR looks like their top end cross country shoe. But as you say probably no good in mud. I'd like to run on Tarmac with them due to their cushioning but they lack support for my over-pronation. Saying that I ought to have another go and see how my feet fare.
Jan 2016
11:21am, 11 Jan 2016
1,592 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Cam have you checked the Hoka Constant - a road Hoka with stability control ?

No idea if it's any good or not, but may be worth checking out reviews, as it sounds like it may be what you're after
Jan 2016
7:10pm, 11 Jan 2016
427 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Interesting and some good deals to be had. Will let you know how I get on if I get a pair.
Jan 2016
7:36pm, 11 Jan 2016
692 posts
  •  
Gromit
I run in the constant on road and the challenger ATR for off road unless I think it will be a Mudfest then I change over to inov8 or fellraisers but did a pretty muddy 15 miles in the Peak District which at times was bog running in the ATR's with no problem , others wearing inov8 were slipping where I was but I had the benefit of the cushioning which they did not ...... I love em

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Hokas - the new Rapa Nui which is less "platform soles" than th...