Hoka One Ones....

28 watchers
Jan 2021
9:21pm, 20 Jan 2021
24,200 posts
  •  
Sushi.
I’m a neutral. Run in Mizo in wave riders but have been wondering about trying these.
Jan 2021
9:22am, 21 Jan 2021
411 posts
  •  
SteveC NordRunner
I like Challenger ATR 5 too. It's easy to use it for almost everything except speed work or highly technical trails. The all-terrain name means that they handle asphalt as well as trails. In practice I like to view them as a hybrid shoe because the lugs are broad and flat, not especially long. They are suited to a mix of running, e.g., a piece of road to a groomed trail or dirt road. If the terrain is a lot more technical then the Speedgoat is more suited, e.g., for locking onto a rooty or muddy trail.

For pure roads, the Clifton is a great shoe. When I wear out current shoes I would consider the Rocket X for speed work. I also use a Bondi for easy road days. This this the most cushioned one, and you can get used to it but I feel it is almost too much.
Jan 2021
11:19am, 21 Jan 2021
4,332 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
The Mach 4 due out in March is getting rave reviews from all the usual YouTube reviewers. Complete rework on the V2 and V3, supposed to be absolutely fantastic for a lightweight road shoe, and renders the Clifton and Rincon pretty pointless.
Looking forward to getting it
Jan 2021
11:54am, 21 Jan 2021
5,002 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I prefer the 6 to the Clifton 7 tbh. The heel feels very high on the 7 and is likely to be subjected to the kitchen scissors pretty soon so my recommendation would be to get 6s if you can. I couldn't.....but the scissors are sharp so won't be an issue :-)

I've also got Rocket X but not done much in them yet.
Jan 2021
12:01pm, 21 Jan 2021
2,412 posts
  •  
Oranj
Interesting. I'm just starting to break in a pair of Mach 3 and they're quite firm, give a positive ride which is good for faster sessions (not that I've had many of those lately...). Not sure about that extended heel on the 4 - pretty pointless for a midfoot runner like me. I really like my Cliftons but they wear out quickly so I have to add rubber to them with ShooGoo:

I think the newer versions might be better?

I'm not getting on with the pair of Bondi 5 I've also got on the go at the moment - I like the Stinson-esque cushioning but the heel cup is aggravating my achilles, even with some hacksaw surgery. The previous pair were fine in this respect, so I've no idea why this pair is bothering me.
Jan 2021
1:24pm, 21 Jan 2021
5,003 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Oranj - we have a similar approach to shoe 'maintenance' :-)

I'm finding the high heel cup on the Clifton 7 to also be quite hard / firm. It's certainly not getting any padding on it. Anyway, it'll be no more after this short discussion!
Jan 2021
1:51pm, 21 Jan 2021
2,414 posts
  •  
Oranj
I like to get full value ;-)

One other thing with the Mach 3 is that the uppers seem much tougher than previous Hokas I've had - that might solve your problem with splitting them WW.
Jan 2021
2:36pm, 21 Jan 2021
275 posts
  •  
torey
Hoka11
Nice, seemingly soft and springy initial "ride" and a comfortable shoe. However they seem to prevent me from picking up any pace and they do feel a bit unstable on rougher on pavements and trails. I always go down badly on one heel and the Hoka11 have suffered more from this than any other shoe brand I use (mainly saucony) and needed a bit of a repair using ShooGoo after only three hundred miles.
I like them on wet trails, even though they are not trail shoes because the mid sole is that much higher and my feet tend to stay dry.
My wife wears Clifton 5 and 6 following recommendation to wear then following a hip replacement because of the additional cushioning.
Jan 2021
10:09pm, 21 Jan 2021
24,241 posts
  •  
Sushi.
How many miles do you seem to get out of them before you need to replace?
Jan 2021
10:22pm, 21 Jan 2021
4,333 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I get great wear out of Hokas, I've worn out 7 pairs over the years. My recorded mileages are :-
466, 630, 548, 567, 533, 600, 462

About This Thread

Maintained by heffaroo
Hey guys...anyone have any experience with these bad boys?

I'm picking up that they are great fo...