Hoka One Ones....

28 watchers
Nov 2016
9:46pm, 17 Nov 2016
50 posts
  •  
nayan
Ive had a few pairs of clintons and am looking at switching to Claytons - has anyone tried these?
Nov 2016
10:16pm, 17 Nov 2016
339 posts
  •  
davelord
I am in hoka tracers , narrow fit but very comfortable but only managing 350 ish miles before they done
Nov 2016
10:32pm, 17 Nov 2016
2,006 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I bought a pair a few months back as a marathon shoe. Unfortunately I've only worn them on 2 short training runs, as I picked up an injury and have done very little running recently.

The one thing about them that is quite different from the Clifton, Rapa Nui and Challenger that I've used before is that there is no stiff heel counter, the material around the heel has no support. There is however the usual Hoka wider than normal midsole and outsole which provides some stability, but if I'd known about the lack of heel counter before I bought ( on-line rather than in a shop ) then I probably wouldn't have bought. Whether, in practice it causes me any problems I won't know until I get back to some decent mileage and start wearing them on long runs
Dec 2016
9:37pm, 9 Dec 2016
51 posts
  •  
nayan
i went for the clayton - much less support around the heel as you say but i don't mind that. The fit is roomier than the clifton which is working well for me.

The insole is wider than with the clifton which gives a funny feel under the arch of your foot. I switched the insole from my clifton to my new claytons and now they are working very well for me.
Dec 2018
4:10pm, 5 Dec 2018
83 posts
  •  
Groundhog
I have the Bondi 4 for road marathons or halfs, not supportive but comfy and less stress on calf muscles and they are wider fitting. 400 miles so far.
Also semi trail shoes Mafate Speed 2 whch have been excellent for level and summer trail long runs. THey have split a nit in the uppers and are wearing out the outsoles, but I have now done 720 miles in them - again wide and comfy.
Dec 2018
5:01pm, 5 Dec 2018
1,203 posts
  •  
Oranj
Yeah, the uppers on the older models do seem quite fragile. But as I've worn them out and bought newer models they seem to be lasting better.
Jan 2021
8:26pm, 19 Jan 2021
32,531 posts
  •  
Seratonin
I am thinking about getting some new shoes and am wondering about Hokas.
I generally stick to Mizuno Wave Inspire but my current Inspire 15's are rubbing my middle toe and causing them to bruise/blister.

The Clifton 6 or 7 look pretty good as a direct comparison but a bit pricier than I normally spend. Any advice?
Jan 2021
6:18am, 20 Jan 2021
1,511 posts
  •  
Gromit
When I first started running I used the mizuno wave and did love them but I then visited local running shop when it was very quiet and saw the hokas on a shelf and comment on them which led to a long and interesting conversation ... that was 6 years ago and I’ve never looked back , I run in my Challengers on the road and off road ... the model you choose depends on your main running surface of course ... I’m mainly trail/off road but find the challengers stand up to a good mix , tend to need half a size up from your “normal” shoe 👍
Jan 2021
8:46pm, 20 Jan 2021
32,540 posts
  •  
Seratonin
Thanks for the comment Gromit.

i was impressed with the Hoka website as they have a "find the right shoe for you" section. I know that I over-pronate and I put in my weekly mileage, preferred surface plus how much cushioning I wanted........and hey presto, it gives the suggested shoes ideal for me.

Think that I am going to give them a try :-)
Jan 2021
9:15pm, 20 Jan 2021
5,704 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Love Hoka ATR Challengers for off-road. They are fab.

About This Thread

Maintained by heffaroo
Hey guys...anyone have any experience with these bad boys?

I'm picking up that they are great fo...