Hoka One One Speedgoat 4

1 watcher
Aug 2021
4:18pm, 2 Aug 2021
105 posts
  •  
Quarzable
Hi all

I am looking at the speedgoats as my first trail shoe, reading about them they seem to size small and narrow.
Can anyone confirm this?
Any other recommendations on shoes?

I run in the Rincon 2 on the road.
I am looking to run a half marathon and then beyond

THanks in advance.
Aug 2021
11:39am, 3 Aug 2021
2,754 posts
  •  
Oranj
I bought mine the same size as my road Hokas. They seem to fit the same, although for some reason Hoka fit them with a very cushioned insole which I swapped out for a flatter one from an old pair, improved the feel of them. I know others have done the same.
Aug 2021
12:30pm, 3 Aug 2021
39,410 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I used Hoka Rapa Nui on ultras, and usually had half size up. But that was a while ago, different model too, so may not be relevant. Also, in long distance your feet swell up, probably less so on half marathon. Best of luck, :-) G
Aug 2021
12:34pm, 3 Aug 2021
16,948 posts
  •  
jennywren
I bought some speedgoats in a half size larger, based on what I’d read. They felt far too big so I’ve returned them for a refund. Not sure I was keen on the rocker thing either. I have Hoka Mach 4s for road running and they’re more conventional feeling.
Aug 2021
1:14pm, 3 Aug 2021
4,589 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Speedgoat 1 was rubbish, nowhere near as good as subsequent models

v2 was a complete redesign and highly acclaimed, except narrow in the toe box (not necessarily shorter) compared to other hokas - I had to go up 0.5 plus use a thinner insole.

Not sure about v3, but v4 was definitely made a bit wider in the forefoot, plus they do a Wide version, so if you can try them on you may find you can use your normal size, ie same as Rincon, if you get the wide version - depending on your foot shape obviously.

Lots of other great trail shoes out there, so many to choose from depending on what you're looking for :-
- new Salomon Ultra Glide getting rave reviews, midsole a lot softer than normal for Salomon
- Hoka Challenger 6 if wanting more a road/trail hybrid
- Inov8 Terraultra G270 if you like zero drop
- lots of La Sportive models I don't know much about
- Brooks Cascadia 16 getting good reviews
etc, etc

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Quarzable
Hi all

I am looking at the speedgoats as my first trail shoe, reading about them they seem to siz...