Hoilday runs

4 watchers
Sep 2019
3:01pm, 20 Sep 2019
30,295 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Off on my hols this weekend.

My usual dilemma of running on hols. Do I just do a few plods? Do I do proper training effort runs? How do I stop feeling guilty if I miss a session or downgraded it coz I have had a few holiday beers the day before?

I intended to do a three part voice thingy for the podcast about this one – the first bit asking do you run on holiday and why? To keep training going for a goal race or for general fitness? For the chance to run in the Sun? To explore some new areas – mountain trails etc? Or just to be smug and enjoy an extra beer after? (I have done all of these over the years – some holidays more than one of these reasons applied)

Might get the piece done – or just leave it as a post and blog entry.

So do you run on hols? and which type of run?
Sep 2019
3:08pm, 20 Sep 2019
4,105 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
I always always run on my holidays. I like to get out early and explore. I don’t do long ones 3-5 but then I can have dessert and drink wine guilt free. But I do it because I love it not just for the wine and cake
Sep 2019
3:16pm, 20 Sep 2019
2,276 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
Depends where I am. I ran loads on a Scottish beach when up there 5 miles on 4 or 5 days as it was gloriously empty. If in UK I also try and grab a nearby parkrun
Sep 2019
3:17pm, 20 Sep 2019
24,066 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Most of my holidays are hiking so not really, the occasional 5k, never a parkrun.
Sep 2019
3:27pm, 20 Sep 2019
7,879 posts
  •  
becca7
I always do. I like it as a way of seeing a place and it try and fit it in with my training plan as much as possible.
Sep 2019
3:30pm, 20 Sep 2019
2,986 posts
  •  
Pikelet
I always run on holiday, some of them every day just to get rid of excess eating and drinking calories. Failed miserably in Kos last month though, only ran once as it was just too hot.
Sep 2019
3:34pm, 20 Sep 2019
8,726 posts
  •  
larkim
I never do as much as I think I will, but almost always research parkrun opportunities and try to do those, making that into a family "thing" for the day.

If I'm ini the middle of building up for a goal race, then I do try to stick to the best bits of the plan, but when the point of being on holiday is to spend more time with the family I balance off the enjoyment of running on my own with making sure I get the sleep I need and the family time I need too.

One compromise which has often worked well has been me running (or cycling) to wherever we are spending the day, so we get the best of both worlds.
Sep 2019
3:40pm, 20 Sep 2019
1,381 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
I always run, unless I’m at sea.

I run because I enjoy it, so not running on holiday would be to deny myself that pleasure.

It isn’t a compromise; it adds to the fun of any trip by exploring new areas that we may wish to revisit and also gives me my running fix.

It can mean some early starts though😁
PK
Sep 2019
3:40pm, 20 Sep 2019
4 posts
  •  
PK
I always try, but don't always make it. Generally it's just a 'ticking over' exercise as I'm away with my family and don't want to take too much time out of the holidays.
Sep 2019
3:52pm, 20 Sep 2019
5,947 posts
  •  
Pompey Paul
Similar to SS, I always run when I am away, be it work or holiday. Running kit is the first thing I pack :-)

It's a great way to check out the local area and get your bearings with an early morning run before the world wakes up

It's also great for conquercise of course

The type of run will be as per the training plan, no excuses

About This Thread

Maintained by Old Croc
Off on my hols this weekend.

My usual dilemma of running on hols. Do I just do a few plods? Do I...