HM what goal and how to get there?

2 watchers
Jan 2019
8:54pm, 15 Jan 2019
First-time poster!!
  •  
slowby
Thanks for any advice! I have run for years but never been interested in speed, just slow miles, so have been going at 10 min pace for ever (at whatever distance: Half marathon usually 2hrs 10, 10K about 1 hour, etc.) I'm a bit bored of that now, doing a half in May and want to turn it up a bit. I've been off with an injury most of last year but have been building up base recently, now doing 15 miles a week, last week was 7 miles, 3 miles, 5 miles, this week will be 5 x 3 miles. I am currently doing parkrun in 29.30 (my pb was 27.20), just to give you some idea, and I am 53 88kg very tall. What should I aim for in May, and what is the break out of the 10 minute mile rut? I have never done any speed work because I was never interested in it, but I am now. Also, what improvement can I expect to parkrun off the back of training for the half? Thanks for any tips!
Jan 2019
8:59pm, 15 Jan 2019
52 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
Hi slowby, I'm new too and aiming for a first HM in April. I'm a bit like you and can happily run 10.20-10.30 min for miles. And non racing, about 61 minutes for 10k. I'm fairly Ok with that, targeting a 2.20 HM. Currently running a 3.5, 4-5, and long (8+) per week. Hoping to up the long run to 9 this week.
Jan 2019
9:17pm, 15 Jan 2019
42,471 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Hi slowby

Introducing some speedwork once you have your base mileage up would be the way to go, I think. Are you following a plan? There are some good HM plans out there.
Jan 2019
9:30pm, 15 Jan 2019
3,897 posts
  •  
Kieren
Consistency is key and things that will impact that consistency are getting injured.

A good way to avoid injury by ramping up too soon is to follow a plan. There are lots available free online but I think either of the following books are very good:

Advanced Marathoning
by Peter Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas
amazon.co.uk

Daniel's Running Formula
by Jack Daniels
amazon.co.uk

If you have a club local to you and their scheduling works, joining is a great way to keep you honest in training and have someone potentially to natter to on race day, which might mean family wont have to sacrifice their Sunday morning to come and support.

I wouldn't worry about time now. Just follow a plan and as you build up to distance you will know closer the time what is a reasonable race pace and a dream race pace to aim for on the day.
Jan 2019
9:33pm, 15 Jan 2019
2 posts
  •  
slowby
Hey Turtlemama and Bintmcskint Thanks! I am going for 4 weeks at 15 miles before I start a RW half marathon plan. (Are RW plans good?) This week it's 5 x 3 miles and next week will start on building up long runs. But what I am stuck on is what's the best thing to get started for somebody who is completely new to speedwork? For example do a mile as fast as I can? Or 30 second sprints? etc. And what base should I be doing before that?
Jan 2019
9:37pm, 15 Jan 2019
3 posts
  •  
slowby
Great, I'll have a look at those books.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by slowby
Thanks for any advice! I have run for years but never been interested in speed, just slow miles, so...