HM Training Tips needed for beginner(ish!)

2 watchers
Mar 2013
1:47pm, 13 Mar 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Sagar82
Hello everyone, first time poster in need of some assistance...

I signed up for a HM with work last Oct for the Royal Parks. Despite doing nowhere near enough training and being pretty unhealthy I came in at 1.56.00, but was injured for a good week afterards...! This gave me the running bug and I've been pretty much obsessed with it ever since.

I've got another HM coming up in April and my training has been going ok, if intermittent. I've been reading so much in terms of contradicting advice so wanted to pool the thoughts from people on here. I'd hope to hit 1.45.00 now my lifestyle has improved but don't often feel I'm making much progress in terms of pace. I know you're supposed to mix up your training but my brain doesn't work that way, and I'd rather get a schedule going I can stick to and rely on. Any thoughts on routine? My endurance isn't great yet, longest runs are around the 6-7m mark.

How does the below look?

Mon - Recovery run 3-4m
Tue - Fartleks 3-4m
Wed - Intervals 3-4m (although they end up being pretty similar to fartleks!)
Thu - I play 5-a-side, so nothing
Fri - rest
Sat/Sun - Long run

Penny for your thoughts...
Mar 2013
1:57pm, 13 Mar 2013
1,890 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I barely feel qualified to answer as I am about to run my first HM on Sunday but the plan I've followed from RW has been great - you can tailor-make one based on a finish time. Mine (based on a finish time of 2hrs 5-10 mins) has involved 4 runs a week - one intervals on Tuesday, a shorter steady paced run on Thursday, shorter but varying length on Saturday & a long run on Sunday - the majority of the long runs were 7-10 miles.
Mar 2013
2:09pm, 13 Mar 2013
2 posts
  •  
PDS1982
Thanks AL, 4 times a week is definitely do-able. Do you have a link?

I've started running to and from work recently a couple of times a week but think it's probably better to get one bigger run in than two short ones as I've often been doing...
Mar 2013
2:14pm, 13 Mar 2013
1,891 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Try this - runnersworld.co.uk
you may need to create an account if you don't have one already.
Mar 2013
2:16pm, 13 Mar 2013
2,219 posts
  •  
West Yorkshire Plodder
If it was me in your circumstances I'd do strictly base, and would gear my training around time on feet and not distance (aiming to be out for one or more 'longrun(s)' of 2 hours)
Mar 2013
2:17pm, 13 Mar 2013
7,728 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Welcome to Fetch!

Looks to much like an actual Plan for me to be able to comment. :-)
Mar 2013
2:32pm, 13 Mar 2013
3 posts
  •  
PDS1982
WYP - So don't be a salve to distances and pace, but rather build on general fitness before anything else...?

It'd make sense to be fair..!
Mar 2013
2:54pm, 13 Mar 2013
4 posts
  •  
PDS1982
(*slave)
Mar 2013
3:45pm, 13 Mar 2013
2,220 posts
  •  
West Yorkshire Plodder
That's how I'd do it, yes. Working on your endurance (you mention it isn't great) will give you some short term improvements in time. Just knock out long easy paced miles and try and keep it up. At the very minimum you will be able to do your half without injury and very probably in a new personal best.
Mar 2013
4:11pm, 13 Mar 2013
1,631 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
looking at your 2 times (5k and 1/2m) you have a better wava score for the 5k suggesting you have the short distance speed, but lack the endurance.
I would echo the above in this case - go long and slow, push on your endurance and the endurance race times will tumble.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello everyone, first time poster in need of some assistance...

I signed up for a HM with work la...