His Dark Materials

28 watchers
Feb 2022
12:12pm, 9 Feb 2022
41,358 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh, I should have given a "warning" with that link.

It is 12+ and very, very plus I would suggest: swearing, violence against children, severe peril, (briefly) simulated rape of an under age.

If you think the movie or TV series didn't portray the darkness adequately, this play will be right up your street. It is actually quite disturbing. :-) G
Feb 2022
12:25pm, 9 Feb 2022
16,955 posts
  •  
larkim
The TV series was good KPM. Looked and felt like the books I'd read in the main. I'm interested to see how they go to the "weird places" of the final book in the next series!

I'd say the book stands up to that 12+ treatment HG so sounds like it's pretty faithful.
Feb 2022
12:35pm, 9 Feb 2022
5,776 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
I'd love to see that. I enjoyed the book very much, even with some very disturbing elements. I still haven't ventured back to the cinema, so I'll see if it's on anywhere near me.
Feb 2022
12:55pm, 9 Feb 2022
41,360 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It seems to be on at both major chains and locals Scribbs. Hope you can find something.

Oh, and anyone that watches it, do feel free to do a wee review. If it's "nice" then I'll forward on to my sis! :-) G
Feb 2022
1:01pm, 9 Feb 2022
41,361 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh, KPM, in answer to your question about how does La Belle Sauvage (I haven't read the next one in the Book of Dust series) compare with HDM trilogy, I'd say the following:

Less fantasy (it's set mostly in the alternative Oxford and London - no snow and ice up north stuff, and none of the parallel universes of TSK and TAS)
Less fantasy 2 (I'm so unimaginative! It's just people, daemons and one witch. No bears!)
Darkness - about the same, cos HDM had some pretty unpleasant themes, severing kids from daemons etc. But more "human" unpleasantness?

But great themes and very challenging but interesting. So not a kids book! :-) G
Feb 2022
1:02pm, 9 Feb 2022
41,362 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
(that's obv a personal view! Hardly an academic reader here! Soz. :-) G )
Feb 2022
1:03pm, 9 Feb 2022
5,777 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
I’m surprised it’s not on at my local indy which is where I’ve seen other ‘plays’ on screen.
Feb 2022
4:55pm, 10 Feb 2022
13,509 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
We've booked tickets and are looking forward to it! Who does your sister play HappyG?

I read all the Northern Lights books during the first lockdown then we listened to La Belle Sauvage as a family, the audiobook has Michael Sheen reading, and he was excellent. We then listened to The Secret Commonwealth. I don't know when he's going to publish the last one but I hope it's soon. The second book is all building up to something.

I've also read all his Sally Lockhart mysteries, they are good too.
Feb 2022
5:29pm, 10 Feb 2022
41,386 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh wow, cool mrs s - which cinema are you going to?

I think it will be a really quiet cinema screen in our big Odeon. When I booked I couldn't see any other seats taken!!

My (step) sis is Holly Atkins - she's playing Malcolm's mother, Ma Poulstead, also a nun, an academic and the witch near the end. Not a huge part but she's loving it. :-) G
Feb 2022
6:01pm, 10 Feb 2022
13,510 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
The Cineworld in Aberdeen. There were a few seats taken when we reserved ours. I loved the character of Malcolm's Mum!

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
Who watched last night?

I thought it was a good effort, not too many changes, a lot of scene sett...