His Dark Materials

28 watchers
Feb 2021
8:25pm, 4 Feb 2021
7,197 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
rf-fozzy, it’s simple. They used the Subtle Knife to cut around the house and slide it through a window into Oxford.
Jun 2021
8:24pm, 16 Jun 2021
2,456 posts
  •  
Groundhog
It just started raining here for the first time in ages. It smells of dust.
Jun 2021
8:30pm, 16 Jun 2021
7,746 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
:-)
Jun 2021
7:55am, 17 Jun 2021
14,786 posts
  •  
larkim
Petrichlor
Feb 2022
11:29am, 9 Feb 2022
41,355 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi there
As suggested by larks, posting this here in case anyone is interested.

My little sis is in the play of La Belle Sauvage, the first of the Book of Dust trilogy prequels in Bridge Theatre, London. It is now being streamed into cinemas (think a lot of plays are doing that now)

thebookofdust.ntlive.com

It's Thursday 17th Feb at 7pm.

Did anyone see the original His Dark Materials on stage? Same director, Nicholas Hytner. :-) G
Feb 2022
11:47am, 9 Feb 2022
8,443 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
That's interesting, I would love to see that.

On the same subject, does anyone have any inkling as to when/if the 3rd Book of Dust is going to be published? I'm not holding my breath.
KPM
Feb 2022
11:51am, 9 Feb 2022
621 posts
  •  
KPM
Thanks for the bump of this thread, HappyG(rrr) - that's so cool about your sis, I hope she breaks a leg! Am I saying that right?

I love His Dark Materials, they are contenders for my favourite books, but weirdly enough, have yet to see either the TV show or read any of his other books - i don't know why though! I think i'm a little fearful of how it would compare to the wonder inside my head.

How does the Book of Dust compare to His Dark Materials in people's opinions?
Feb 2022
12:06pm, 9 Feb 2022
41,356 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes, it's been running since November last year so her leg must be shattered into a million pieces by now! Right lingo though KPM!

We went to see it on Saturday down in London. I loved it. As with all book adaptations, the characters may be different to how you saw them in your head, but the production was brilliant, I thought. Bit biased though, of course!

We've booked to see it in the cinema as above too, so back for a second viewing. :-) G
Feb 2022
12:08pm, 9 Feb 2022
16,953 posts
  •  
larkim
I've enjoyed the BoD books so far.

Who is she playing HG?
KPM
Feb 2022
12:09pm, 9 Feb 2022
626 posts
  •  
KPM
I saw The Golden Compass film with high hopes but came away thinking it was very "meh". I know it's technically a teen book series, but it was actually quite dark and dealt with some really deep and complex issues - i'm not a very good critic, but to me it seemed the film dumbed everything down and aimed it at children. I think i'm once bitten twice shy now :(

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
Who watched last night?

I thought it was a good effort, not too many changes, a lot of scene sett...