His Dark Materials

28 watchers
Nov 2019
9:58am, 4 Nov 2019
24,516 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Who watched last night?

I thought it was a good effort, not too many changes, a lot of scene setting to do. McEvoy was a bit over the top...but generally really liked it....not so sure what someone who hadn't read it will make of it.......OH seemed happy enough
Nov 2019
10:03am, 4 Nov 2019
9,361 posts
  •  
larkim
Enjoyed it, especially as I am in the middle of the Book of Dust at the moment, so the start with the floods didn't confuse me as I think it might had I only read the first three published books. Everything looked and felt how I'd imagined it, much as I felt when watching Peter Jackson's LOTR films.

I've not read enough of the background to it, so this is a daft question - are they running through all three books in this 8 part series? As it seems that the "coming next" more or less covered the next 80% of the first book.
Nov 2019
10:14am, 4 Nov 2019
16,201 posts
  •  
Stander
Missus and I have never read the books.

We both said we need to give this another episode or two before we decide to stick with it or not.
Nov 2019
10:14am, 4 Nov 2019
250 posts
  •  
John Bach
My wife really enjoyed it - she is a big PP fan (she dragged me to "An evening with PP" last year!) - she never watched the film after PP said he hated it!
Nov 2019
10:28am, 4 Nov 2019
24,517 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I think the first 8 covers the first book, that seems about right, without looking I assumed there would be 4 or 5 of 1 1/2 hours. I have to say this sort of thing usually annoys the hell out of me (ie a book or comic I have read, turned into a film), but last night seemed a very good effort indeed.

I am not so sure the McEvoy worked in my head, I thought a more Christopher Lee type, and Coulter would be a bit more glam, but fair enough.
Nov 2019
10:42am, 4 Nov 2019
33,025 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Where is Hendo? He was waxing lyrical (Lyra-cal?!) about HDM on Facebook last night.

I liked it. A bit "BBCish" as in everything looks like Cardiff, like Dr Who?! :-) G
Nov 2019
10:44am, 4 Nov 2019
33,026 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm part way through Book of Dust too. Love his writing.
Nov 2019
10:52am, 4 Nov 2019
14,263 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Twiglet & I enjoyed it - I thought Ruth Wilson made a good Mrs Coulter - more complexity apparent in the character already. I loved the books, not yet read the Book of Dust but did listen to the Radio 4 adaptation.
Nov 2019
11:01am, 4 Nov 2019
33,027 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes, I thought Ruth Wilson was fab. Much more nuanced than Nicole Kidman. I thought McAvoy was good - gruff, but with some conflict and care below the surface.

What scope they were covering occurred to me too - I assumed it was just Golden Compass, because as you say, assuming 8 episodes, then the Coming Next they showed was only book 1? :-) G
Nov 2019
11:09am, 4 Nov 2019
9,362 posts
  •  
larkim
Isn't the first book called Northern Lights, not The Golden Compass HG?

We were all most impressed that Mrs Coulter's monkey was the same type that has just featured in the Attenborough documentary earlier in the evening. Coincidence?

Agree that McEvoy and Wilson weren't exactly visually how I'd imagined them, but stylistically they were. Kidman was well cast I thought in the film, though.

If this series is the full book 1 over 8 episodes they are spinning it out, and taking a risk about being recommissioned! But looking good so far.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
Who watched last night?

I thought it was a good effort, not too many changes, a lot of scene sett...