hip injury

7 watchers
Apr 2011
11:25am, 28 Apr 2011
20,413 posts
  •  
cabletow
well my favourite is walking as if the upper spine has a rod down it - Long back of neck, chin tucked in and imagine you are being lifted by a string tied to the crown (male bald spot). Walk by leaning forward in this position (Alexander technique). Let the legs relax as you walk and you will find you reduce the amount of hip swagger.

Another trick - Get a broom handle and lift it in both hands as if carrying a weightlifting barbell - Make sure you lift it up behind the head and hold it there then walk - You will find the hip is easier.

To stregthen glut medius - yes plank but move hips up and down as you do it boith on front and back as well as sides keeping arms staight all the time as you do.
Apr 2011
4:58pm, 28 Apr 2011
2,463 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Thank you CT - how much of this needs to be done?

In the first one I took lots of little steps is that right? Is there some youtube of someone doing this so I can see what I'm aiming for please?

... starts pacing round the kitchen with a long cardboard tube instead of broom handle - yep that I can do and I can imagine how the back plank goes - so thanks, will do some after dinner. My cat loves it when anyone is on the yoga mat!
May 2011
10:54am, 9 May 2011
2,488 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Update - hip still griping after running but not as painful as it was and I am painfree for normal activities in the day after running. I have been planking away most days and started doing an abs and back class at the gym, which is only weekly, but one dose of that was enough for three days worth of abs agony. I did 5.5 miles on Sunday, my longest run since February. I am now getting some niggling in my back on the same side which I assume is related to the glutes. I can't believe Poots did a marathon with this injury!
May 2011
9:40pm, 9 May 2011
5 posts
  •  
naqi
Ive suffered with hip and top of glute pain. Knotted up tissue in my back was compressing a nerve. Deep tissue by the physio sorted out (and it was freakin painful)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by icemaiden
And while I am at the docs I should like to moan about my hip injury.

Top of the bone / just behi...