Hip hurts

2 watchers
Feb 2012
8:59am, 22 Feb 2012
12,339 posts
  •  
hellen
It started the weekend before last during a double marathon. It wasnt really bad and more of a dull ache/tightness
When I did the ITB stretch (bending to the side thing) I could feel it stretching. When I pointed to it the lady at the gym said it was my TFL.

So last week I kept stretching and had a massage on Wed where he did some work on my glutes which were tight in places as well. Over the course of the week it got gradually better but never went away

On Sunday I did a vvvv hilly marathon and ran it quite hard too. I was aware of it but it wasnt that bad (3/10)
After driving home 2 hours I got out the car and it was agony when I but my foot down but after walking about it loosened off.

I notice when I have been sitting it tightens up so hurts when I get up. When I run it eases off after a few miles.

I feel it constantly (dull ache) when walking around but feel nothing sitting. When I prod the area I feel nothing.

Had another massage last night just working on that area, it is marginally better this morning. I dont know how qualified Mr massage is to make diagnoses but he seemed to think it was just tightness

Is there anything I can be doing apart from stretching and tennis ball rolling? And is it best not to run?

Thanks
Feb 2012
9:07am, 22 Feb 2012
11,643 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Foam roller? Works for my ITB which is essentially the same structure as TFL.
Don't run if it hurts.
Feb 2012
9:08am, 22 Feb 2012
12,340 posts
  •  
hellen
yes doing foam roller and stick too
Feb 2012
9:10am, 22 Feb 2012
3,129 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I think that's what I had last year. I kept running and it sort of 'popped' and then I didn't run for two months. The cure was cross training, no impacting and time. Cabletow will need a picture for full diagnosis, I may be wrong.
Feb 2012
9:11am, 22 Feb 2012
11,644 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Not sure there is much else really, hopefully it will just be tight for a bit then settle. If you keep running you risk getting it inflamed and it will take longer to settle.
Feb 2012
9:12am, 22 Feb 2012
3,130 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Gluteus medius tendon strain is what CT diagnosed me with, and here's my thread http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=45184

The picture is no longer in the gallery but what I had is described.
Feb 2012
12:35pm, 22 Feb 2012
12,348 posts
  •  
hellen
Thanks IM, it sounds a bit diff to mine

I tried Ibu a couple of days ago, not cos it was that bad but because I wanted to know if it was inflammation. Ibu didnt touch it so guess nothing inflamed and just a tightness
Feb 2012
1:33pm, 22 Feb 2012
424 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
sorry to hear about your hip hellen :-(

i thought you said the hills weren't that bad though? ;-)

have you ruled out a stress fracture? i had a femoral stress fractures about 3 years ago and always felt a dull ache there too.

how about swimming for a bit? i always feel like i can body sense really well in the water plus you won't be in danger of hurting it more
Feb 2012
1:38pm, 22 Feb 2012
15,409 posts
  •  
Thread killer here
bless u Hellen

Hellen the Master marathoner
Feb 2012
2:00pm, 22 Feb 2012
9,925 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
think of the whole kinetic chain...not just the erea that exhibits the symptoms.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
It started the weekend before last during a double marathon. It wasnt really bad and more of a dull...