•  
Gooner
Fetch... anybody...?
May 2020
3:52pm, 21 May 2020
5 posts
  •  
Joophy
I was wandering the same thing and came across this thread, so resurrecting in search of an answer.

As a test I created a short route that just goes straight up a steep hill and back down again and got:

2.3km 33m ascent 33m decent with hillscore of 2783, which is very high for a short route.
May 2020
4:04pm, 21 May 2020
1,730 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
I've a very vague recollection from a very long time ago that it was an attempt to indicate how hilly a route is overall based on some complicated relationship between elevation gain and distance travelled. I can't remember what the parameters were but I think a short route with a big hill would score higher than a longer route with the same hill.

The only person with a clue how it's actually computed will be Fetch
May 2020
4:14pm, 21 May 2020
34,870 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I thought distance travelled came into it too. So lots of ascent over shorter distance (i.e. steeper, not just more uphill) was a higher score. But that's just a vague recollection.

The other issue might be Garmin (other GPS / altimeters are available!) logging incorrect ascent / descent and then it being corrected (using elevation correction, which I think uses the heights as known on a map based on your GPS traces, not the elevation ascent descent measured by the device)?
May 2020
12:36pm, 28 May 2020
5 posts
  •  
CrispByNature
I was just wondering exactly what hillscore means - I'm glad I read through all of this thread to find out!

I quite like the mystery of it though..

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gooner
Just a quick one (hopefully), the hillscore on a route, what exactly does it relate to?

Now I kno...