Hill Race Cancelled - Police Tell Mountain Rescue Not To Support It

5 watchers
Jun 2013
10:13pm, 14 Jun 2013
131 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
This news is very worrying shr.uk.com

Why would the police tell the MRT they can't support an event that they've been supporting for years ?

Why do the MRT have to listen to the police, they are civilian volunteers are they not ?

Lots of hill races and outdoor "events" are supported by mountain rescue teams across the country, I sincerely hope this is not some new edict from the new formed Police Scotland

Ridiculous
Jun 2013
10:16pm, 14 Jun 2013
18,627 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Are MRT's not under the auspices of the Police?

The one that I was in 25 years ago was - which was why we could have a blue light and sirens - we were essentially Special Constables when we were on a call
Jun 2013
10:38pm, 14 Jun 2013
132 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Oh, didn't realise that about Special Constables el Bee!

Still, strange why they have cancelled this with less than 24 hour notice, when it's a long standing event they support.

The fact that lots of the runners will already have travelled to Arran then I'm guessing they'll just run the route anyway, and if anyone gets into difficulty then it will take longer for the MRT to respond if they are not out on the course anyway.

Be interested to hear if it's a local decision, or part of a bigger strategy
Jun 2013
10:42pm, 14 Jun 2013
18,628 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
It may not still be the case, but I believe that MR is called out under the authority of the Police still.

It does seem strange to pull the plug at such late notice though
Jun 2013
10:45pm, 14 Jun 2013
3,333 posts
  •  
Duchess
Reasonably sure they still are - I know the police are liable for any loss of earnings incurred as a result of an injury sustained during a rescue.

Being cynical, there's a part of me that wonders if this is a decision made by a city copper in the new national force, where the local "rural" force would have gone "great training practice lads,have fun", another clash of cultures. Would bode very ill for any event in rural Scotland if it becomes a policy though.
Jun 2013
10:49pm, 14 Jun 2013
133 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I get the fact that they would be under the auspices of the Police if they are called out, but is that still the case if on a training exercise ?

Guess it must be if the police have the power to tell them what they can and can't do.

I'm doing Lairig Ghru hill race in 2 weeks time which is supported by Cairngorm Mountain Rescue - sincerely hope that doesn't get canned !
Jun 2013
10:57pm, 14 Jun 2013
3,334 posts
  •  
Duchess
It would jeopardise almost very hill, trail or ultra race in Scotland if it was a policy decision. Events would have to engage one of the "private" organisations at a cost, simply to cover safety. No safety cover = no race licence = no race. :-(
Jun 2013
11:22pm, 14 Jun 2013
1,498 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Not under FRA guidelines it doesn't. I've never done a fell or trail race that has mountain rescue cover, although have run races that are organised by mountain rescue. Have had races with cake though, so figure that's a fair trade in! :-)
Jun 2013
1:47am, 16 Jun 2013
582 posts
  •  
Craig_
I've just put myself on the waiting list for The Nine Edges Endurance event - organized by Edale Mountain Rescue. Whilst on their website I came across their latest rescue report - edalemrt.co.uk :)
Jun 2013
6:40am, 16 Jun 2013
121 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Had a read of some more of Edale Mountain Rescue's incident reports - they are priceless!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
This news is very worrying http://www.shr.uk.com/NewsItems.aspx?NewsItemID=1422&utm_source=dlvr.it&u...