Highland Fling 2016

27 watchers
May 2016
1:05pm, 3 May 2016
6,829 posts
  •  
Duchess
I did the maths on Donnie's win... Over 53 miles, his average pace was about 7:46. Bloody hell.....
May 2016
1:12pm, 3 May 2016
16,452 posts
  •  
flanker
The combination of scenery, snow on the tops, and the perfect weather is makes this almost certainly most beautiful ran I've ever run. (and that's with having the expected bad run - and I use the term run loosely!)

And I suspect unless I am lucky enough get to run something like The High It could never be beaten.

I'm in two minds whether I want to come back to this race, as I don't think the experience could be beaten. I think if I return it'll have to be to race it hard. In shape that is all very runnable.

I'm even considering reneging on my "i'll never run the WHW race" statement it was that good.
May 2016
1:16pm, 3 May 2016
7,177 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Wow! That's my 10 mile PB pace. I just can't get my head around that pace for that distance. Amazing performance.

Well done everyone from here who took part in any way. My club mate Chris who we are crewing for at WHW came 35th in 8:53 taking 57 mins off his Fling PB. I think he's now looking at a 20 hour WHW target time. Can't wait for the big race now!
May 2016
1:18pm, 3 May 2016
7,178 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Hey flanker if you loved the scenery etc of the Fling you should run the Devil if you get a chance as it's even better in my opinion, although I remember you don't like midgies? It's midgie central by August.

Please consider the WHW race, it's very special :-)
May 2016
1:42pm, 3 May 2016
6,830 posts
  •  
Duchess
MrsS, Chris was awesome....and his wee puppy was gorgeous and at great risk of being kidnapped by almost every one of the marshals at the finish line (me included and I don't like dogs).
May 2016
1:43pm, 3 May 2016
25,606 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, I said same mrs s, that full WHW or Devil should be in Kinky's plans!

7:46 is the ave - I'm not so freaked about doing that pace for 50 miles, but doing it on *that* terrain! Esp the lochside, which grinds me down to 20 min / mile - stiles, stairs, rocks, roots, clamber, climbs and swearing, if I remember correctly! ;-)

Then the hills. What happened to "in ultras, walk the hills..."? These guys must be doing 6 min/mile down the rocky hills, 7s on the flats, and 8s on the lumpy bits. Just wowsers! :-) G
May 2016
1:56pm, 3 May 2016
7,179 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I love that puppy and I'm not normally a dog fan either! She's adorable.
May 2016
4:06pm, 3 May 2016
2,801 posts
  •  
STOOSH
Couldn't of asked for better weather on Saturday, only got hit with 1hail shower when I was stopped at beinglas desperately trying to refuel after staggering in...

I at least now have half an idea what I'll be targeting in 7weeks which was the purpose of running the fling.

Hope everyone recovering well from Saturday, my legs are fairly good so I'll be back out today.
May 2016
4:14pm, 3 May 2016
8,579 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
My legs are completely wrecked!

Slowest time of my four completions and the most muscle damage, how does that work!!!
May 2016
4:46pm, 3 May 2016
16,453 posts
  •  
flanker
repeated overload FR?

Considering I took it easy and the terrain is relatively benign, my legs are the most trashed i've known them after a 50 ever. I think it's down to too many events, too close together, so that the muscle damage never gets chance to repair before next time, which then compounds the damage ... and the pain!

About This Thread

Maintained by wheezy1973
Hi folks. Can anyone tell me when tickets usually go on sale for the Highland Fling? Hoping to do it...