High Wycombe Half

1 watcher
Jul 2014
9:03am, 21 Jul 2014
197 posts
  •  
RBNLMX
Did anyone else run it yesterday? First time for me and didn't really know what to expect, but heard murmurs before the off about the 'massive hill at the start'. Wow, what a way to kick off 13 miles, it really was steep! I loved the race after that first hill, lots of supportive marshalls and members of the public, lovely finish on the grass, a brilliant downhill about half way through, and fantastic race pack including medal and t-shirt (not bad for the £17 entrance fee). Great morning, and managed to knock a few seconds of my PB (set at Hackney earlier this year, which was pretty much flat!). Anyone else do it?
Jul 2014
11:32am, 21 Jul 2014
3,935 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Yep, it's always a tough course but a great race well organised by Handy X Runers.

The hill is about half a mile averaging 8%, approx 250 ft with a couple of sexy hairpin switchbacks.
Jul 2014
11:39am, 21 Jul 2014
10,631 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
Only race I've ever cried in. Few years back I had a mile to go and was spent, heard the bloke on the tannoy and promptly started crying. :-O
Jul 2014
11:44am, 21 Jul 2014
20,298 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
One year I forgot my kit and had to run in a suit. Sir Jock was on hand to take the piss.
Jul 2014
11:52am, 21 Jul 2014
198 posts
  •  
RBNLMX
The last mile is a bit tough, you seem so close but can see the river still to cross!

Definitely well organised and will certainly consider it again.
Jul 2014
1:30pm, 21 Jul 2014
3,936 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Everyone around me was having a crap day, despite my mile splits from mile 6 -12 slowing from 7:30s to 8:10s I was still going past people and not really being passed.

Also I think the 10th lady did about 1:43, so I guess a lot of times were down on expectations
Jul 2014
3:01pm, 21 Jul 2014
199 posts
  •  
RBNLMX
After the hill I absolutely loved it. There was a bit of headwind around 8 miles I think, apart from that it was perfect conditions (a little bit humid), I thought. There was massive gaps between people where I was (30-40s), but I guess that's the nature of a race of 600.

Is anyone doing the Burnham Beeches race? I'm gagging for another half now but not got anything lined up until early October.
Jul 2014
4:13pm, 21 Jul 2014
3,938 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I might do Burnham as I got a flyer on my car. Want to enter Henley and Marlow as well. From memory Marlow is tougher than Wycombe.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Did anyone else run it yesterday? First time for me and didn't really know what to expect, but hear...