High Blood Pressure

14 watchers
Aug 2012
10:31am, 14 Aug 2012
1,010 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
I have recently been prescribed Amlodipine 5mg as to mine and my GPs surprise I was recently found to have high BP. I'm 58. A week on the tablets has brought my BP down, not quite to my previous normal level but getting there.

On my run today, I trotted along quite happily at 9:30-10 min/mile for about 3 miles (that's my usual "general run" pace) but found it harder and harder to sustain that pace for the next 3 miles. This has happened several times recently. Is this anything to do with my BP?

Also, for today's run, my Garmin HR trace is awful - average HR 197 and a max of 248!!! A run such as today's would usually produce an average of about 155 and a max of 165. Is this a side effect of the tablets or do I need to see my doc?

Any advice gratefully received.
Aug 2012
10:40am, 14 Aug 2012
4,987 posts
  •  
GlennR
Lazydaisy, I'm as sure as I possibly could be that your HR data problem is a false reading due to static, weather, or something else odd - I've been getting a lot of rubbish lately too.

Fatigue is a common side effect of your medication. I hope that one of the Fetch medics pops up to comment in an informed way on that aspect - I badgered my GP a lot to end up with a hypertension drug that didn't interfere with my training. Losartan Potassium is what I'm on currently.
Aug 2012
1:31pm, 14 Aug 2012
1,011 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
Thanks GlennR that's reassuring to read your comments about HR.

The notes with the tablets say that quicker heart beats, weakness and sleepiness are possible side effects (less that 1 in 10, more than 1 in 100). I am not due to see my GP again for a couple of months but if this carries on I will go back and see him - I've got the Robin Hood Half Marathon next month, and the Great South Run in October and I don't want to be reduced to walking after 3 miles of either of them!!
Aug 2012
7:29pm, 14 Aug 2012
1,015 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
Bump - Any Fetchie medics got any opinion/advice they'd like to offer?
Gus
Aug 2012
8:53am, 15 Aug 2012
1,377 posts
  •  
Gus
I'm on losartan as well and it seems to be doing the job, BP has been fine but I'm due to go and get it checked next month.
Jan 2017
1:19pm, 23 Jan 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
PhillT
Not sure if this tread is dead , but thought I'd give it a try. A random BP test last week indicted I had high BP , 165/92 , since confirmed by Nurse and so far about 4 days worth of data from home tests. I have a GP appointment in 12 days time when I'll have completed a weeks testing. After most of my runs this year I've been unusually tired so Im not sure if that is the cause. But this was me upping the training to 3 times a week after a fairly easy spell - its a bit hard to go to a GP and say " I'm 65 , ran first 10 miler for many months , I'm feeling tired ... is there a problem ? "

Its perplexing as I don't have anything to improve on ! Im underweight if anything, don't smoke, like a wee dram now and again but don't drink a lot, run and do other exercises on average 3 times a week, resting heart rate is 44 - 52 , max in a race is 145 bpm.
Any thought out there ?
Mar 2017
4:11pm, 7 Mar 2017
3,793 posts
  •  
Black Cat
It could be genetic, do any of your family have high blood pressure? I've inherited it from my Dad's side of the family!
Mar 2017
4:30pm, 7 Mar 2017
1,042 posts
  •  
shyfire
Unlucky genes and maybe salt sensitive?
Sep 2018
12:40pm, 9 Sep 2018
3,540 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I'm having a 24 hour blood pressure monitor thingy from Monday afternoon until Tuesday afternoon. My favourite training session of the week is the Monday night track session. Is running with the monitor on possible? advisable?
Sep 2018
1:13pm, 9 Sep 2018
37,825 posts
  •  
GlennR
The one they offered me was too damn heavy for running.

About This Thread

Maintained by Julie T
Has anyone been prescribed high blood pressure medication? Have there been any side effects or affec...