High Blood Pressure

14 watchers
Jul 2011
7:57pm, 1 Jul 2011
41 posts
  •  
Julie T
Has anyone been prescribed high blood pressure medication? Have there been any side effects or affect on training?
Jul 2011
8:16pm, 1 Jul 2011
9,373 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
The effect depends on the type of medication. Beta blockers and some others will limit your maximum cardiac output.

Many others will have very little effect at all.
Jul 2011
8:29pm, 1 Jul 2011
42 posts
  •  
Julie T
Thanks - I've been resisting the whole medication thing for years but they have finally caught up with me and I am having an ECG on Friday - beta blockers have been mentioned. Thing is my blood pressure is all over the place - fine sometimes and high others - not at all consistent.
Jul 2011
8:41pm, 1 Jul 2011
9,374 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I am sure one of the GPs, or the Hippo will be able to give you better advice than me, but the newer beta blockers are, as far as I know, better. Beta blockade is often recommended for younger hypertensive types, but is not necessarily the only option, and a good GP should be able to discuss your concerns and fit any proposed medication to your needs.
Jul 2011
7:45am, 2 Jul 2011
35,471 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Julie T
the new hypertension guidelines state that you should have ambulatory blood pressure monitoring to confirm the high blood pressure9thats a litte blood pressure macjine to wear for 24 hours)
If you do, then you should be give either an ACE inhibitor(some people get a cough with this), or an angiotensin 2 receptor blocker
None of those have any effect ontraining
beta blockers are no longer recommended as first line

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!

(does rain dance)
Jul 2011
8:02am, 2 Jul 2011
5 posts
  •  
Alamo
I've been on all sorts of different blood pressure pills for years and not really noticed any effect - either on the runing or the blood pressure. Statins however are a diferent story...!
Jul 2011
9:09am, 5 Jul 2011
2,384 posts
  •  
GlennR
What happened with the Statins Alamo? I've been on Simvastatin for years without really noticing anything.
Jul 2011
9:14am, 5 Jul 2011
2,385 posts
  •  
GlennR
I've just started on Losartan, having been on Candesartan for some time. In fact I've had a break between the two, we were curious to see if there was still an underlying problem following a weight loss of about 3 stone over the years, but my diastolic is still just the wrong side of 90 mmHg.
Jul 2011
9:36am, 5 Jul 2011
2,230 posts
  •  
Black Cat
I've been on 3 types of medication for about 3 years now and haven't noticed any problems with side effects or training.
Jul 2011
8:38am, 6 Jul 2011
6 posts
  •  
Alamo
Glenn - I was getting sore aching quads after a couple of miles running and no amount of training or massages seemed to improve the situation. I read that aching muscles can be a side effect with some statins so stopped taking the the pills and the problem went away, well eased anyway. Still taking the BP pills though.

About This Thread

Maintained by Julie T
Has anyone been prescribed high blood pressure medication? Have there been any side effects or affec...