Hidden gems in the Lakes when it's wet...

10 watchers
Jul 2020
12:35pm, 26 Jul 2020
44,569 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Is the Pencil museum open?
Jul 2020
12:42pm, 26 Jul 2020
10,898 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
If it's raining, there's always the options of various open water swim sites.

If you're going to get wet...
Jul 2020
12:59pm, 26 Jul 2020
17,156 posts
  •  
Rosehip
(that flipping museum has cost me a fortune over the last few years - daughter can spend hours and £££ in the shop!)
Jul 2020
8:48pm, 26 Jul 2020
1,902 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
If the weather's not too desperate midweek, it could be worth a drive down Haweswater to Mardale Head - a few good routes up onto the High Street group from there with relatively few folk about.
Jul 2020
9:13pm, 26 Jul 2020
13,766 posts
  •  
Homer
Have lunch in the big cave above Rydal water (south side), access along Loughrigg terrace NY 35472 05782 - pretend its the Harry Potter cave
Jul 2020
11:51am, 27 Jul 2020
215 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
Sam Read's bookshop in Grasmere,
samreadbooks.co.uk
and the cafe opposite, Mathilde's,
heatoncooper.co.uk
Jul 2020
12:19pm, 27 Jul 2020
4,749 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Just if it’s any comfort for you lark, we’ll be there too. Staying in Grasmere for a week from Sat. The forecast doesn’t look great, does it?!
Jul 2020
12:30pm, 27 Jul 2020
35,253 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
The forest visitor centres are good for wet days as you can spend a lot of time under the tree canopy. Sounds as if Whinlatter will be your "go to" forest from Whinfell, as it's a easy journey along the A66, but if you fancy going further south, then the Grizedale Forest visitor centre is well worth a visit. Loads of waymarked trails, but with an added layer of interest in the form of outdoor sculptures. Some of them can be quite hard to find with only small clues on the trailside to alert you that you have to dive into a bit of forest - good fun family treasure hunting.
Jul 2020
3:15pm, 27 Jul 2020
4,751 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I just remembered - we went to Keswick in the monsoon season last August. I know that you asked for things to do in the rain but I'd class these as pull your hood up and get on with it type activities(!):

We took a trip over to the Osprey watching site that's under Dodd, overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake. We didn't see anything but it's a nice little spot in the forest and led us to actually have a wander up to the top of Dodd which was nice enough in itself, has some nice views and is actually a Wainwright if you are bagging.

There's a nice putting green in Hope Park in Keswick and a pitch & putt (didn't do that). I also saw a putting green in Lower Fitz Park but didn't try that one.

Lodore Falls is pretty spectacular and you can get very close to the rushing water.

When we were there the water height at Derwent Water was such that the piers were under water and the boats couldn't operate. Also the paths around the southern end of the lake were flooded. I tried to get round on one of my morning runs but gave up at nearly knee height. Hope it's not like that next week!
um
Jul 2020
5:05pm, 27 Jul 2020
3,040 posts
  •  
um
WW - that reminds me - pitch and putt and crazy golf in Ambleside. Have spent quite a few afternoons getting wet there. And teaching the children that if it’s empty we can play some of the holes again.

And again

And again

But only the ones well away from the payment shed.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
As usual when we're planning to spend time in the Lakes it's planning to pour Lake juice f...