Help please - Power of Fetch - possible ITB advice needed

2 watchers
Mar 2020
9:29am, 9 Mar 2020
13,759 posts
  •  
mulbs
Hi Fetchies.
On walking up the stairs on Saturday morning I was very aware that my knee was doing weird clunking/moving things. On examination, if I "pinched"toward to the top outer bit of my knee and went from bent to straight I could feel a very thin something "twang" across it.

It didn't hurt, but it definitely felt weird. I taped up and took an inflammatory and set off for my scheduled run on the basis that it would be ok or if it wasn't then I would just get the bus home. I did manage the full 16 miles but was very aware of my knee toward the end of the run.

So now is where I need the power of Fetch. Any ideas? Any remedies? Any strengthening or stretching links much appreciated.

Ta mulbs x
Mar 2020
9:40am, 9 Mar 2020
34,378 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I get clicking / twangy right knee. Worried it would give way. Not sore. Started then getting a bit of warmth/discomfort on knee. Went to physio (NHS, waited 10 weeks) and he said quad stretches. That was 6 months ago. Still clicks a bit, but mostly ok. Have done 1000 miles since! Good luck. :-) G
Mar 2020
9:45am, 9 Mar 2020
13,760 posts
  •  
mulbs
Thanks HappyG - good to know there are potentially a few miles left in me!
Mar 2020
10:06am, 10 Mar 2020
13,761 posts
  •  
mulbs
HappyG - what's your quad stretch routine/frequency/duration?
Mar 2020
11:07am, 10 Mar 2020
34,395 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
mulbs, it's just the usual stand on one leg pull your heel to your bum stretch. 20-30s each leg. The physio wanted me to do it 3 times a day, and I did it daily for a wee while. As it's abated I've just gone back to doing it whenever I think of it - after a run (in the shower!), when I'm at gym anyway etc.

He was quite adamant that the knee pain I was having was this and this alone. NHS physios are funny, no hands on, no manipulation, no massage etc. Just got me to move, tell him where pain was, when I get it. Saw me about a month later and I said it was getting a bit better, or at least not worse. He said I could come again in a month or just discharge. So I discharged (didn't want to waste NHS resources). And it does seem to be better. Good luck. :-) G
Mar 2020
4:10pm, 11 Mar 2020
34,414 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Of course, your twangy bit on knee could be something else altogether. Are you getting it checked out by anyone who isn't just a random on the internet?!

P.S. I also do my ITB stretches (one leg crossed behind other, arm up on that side and bend to opposite side) roughly same number of times per week. It's like voodoo isn't it? You don't know if it works but don't dare stop doing it! I also foam roller my quads, ITB, glutes, hams and calves! :-) G
Mar 2020
4:30pm, 11 Mar 2020
13,765 posts
  •  
mulbs
HappyG, I'd take advice from a renowned Fetchie any day of the week (especially one with Foghorn Leghorn as his avatar). I am booked in on Friday for a sports massage anyway, so I'll mention it. I had one very few weeks before Jersey last year and felt that I benefited from it so I've booked a couple of slots leading up to April's London event that may or may not be cancelled.

It might sound daft, but I was vastly reassured when I physically could feel with my own hand the action of something twanging across rather than the feeling of a broken jigsaw inside.

Thanks for taking the time to inform me ^^^ of your experiences and regime, both much appreciated.
Mar 2020
10:24am, 12 Mar 2020
34,432 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Very important question - what bird is your avatar? It looks like a bird of prey hovering, but it's a very small picture.

I like a sports massage if I'm doing high mileage or before a big race. Might just be placebo but again I always felt it was like getting the car serviced before a big journey! Can't hurt.

It should be noted that a much smarter, medically qualified and more experienced Fetchie (though she does not have a loud mouthed cartoon character for an avatar in her favour) thinks foam roller, stretches etc. are all bobbins and worse than voodoo. You pays yer Fetch dues, you takes your choices! :-) G
Mar 2020
10:40am, 12 Mar 2020
13,768 posts
  •  
mulbs
:-D Foghorn Leghorn is the only Fetchie that has answered my plea! That's plenty good enough for me.

My bird is a skylark, when I'm able to run in the local countryside as opposed to pounding the pavements they sing their little heads off and fill me with joy. I also grew up in an old coachman's house in Liverpool called Lark Cottage, which was just off Lark Lane.
Mar 2020
10:17am, 13 Mar 2020
34,452 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Love a skylark. A twitcher running club mate pointed them out to me (by their lovely tweeting piping call) high above us running over the hills a few summers ago. They are a really nice to see and hear.

C'mon medically trained and other ITB / knee twang suffering and experienced Fetchies, help poor mulbs with some better banter than my lame offerings please!

Twangy knee, with something moving across it - what could be the cause and is it something to worry about and how best to treat. Come on, improve on advice from me, the Big Chicken. Thanks. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by mulbs
Hi Fetchies.
On walking up the stairs on Saturday morning I was very aware that my knee was doing w...