Help for a blind runner

2 watchers
Jul 2013
2:19pm, 23 Jul 2013
13,265 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Hi folks - I've had this request from a blind runner who's having trouble with pacing:

"I'm a totally blind runner, as I think I've mentioned to you in the past. Anyway I'm having terrible problems at pacing myself when running and to be honest sometimes the person guiding me isn't very good at it either, because they are often faster than the pace I normally run at they tend to let me go at whatever I want, and more often than not it's too fast at the beginning and consequently end up being totally shattered after a few miles and hating the run. I also end up struggling to breathe because of it and get myself into a panic which usually causes me even more breathing problems. I often wonder why I want to run and after a really awful run vow never to run again, but I do.

I wear a talking stop watch which is fine but only gives me the time I've been running, not how far or anything like that so I am not able to tell what sort of pace I'm doing per mile, I know, I know I should come into the modern world and work in Kilometres but I'm an old fashioned woman. I wondered if anyone knew of anything that I might be able to get that will be able to help me at all.

What I really need is a clever person to come up with a talking GPS watch just like you all wear for running. You would think it would be possible in this day and age with the technology, I've even written to the manufacturers as it would not only be useful for running but helpful in getting from A to B.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks"

---

I've suggested that she:

1) looks at GPS watches that alert you audibly based on pace.
2) focus on breathing first and foremost e.g. by counting steps for the breathing cycle in/out.
3) as an inexpensive option, use a HRM that will beep when exceeding a set heart rate.

If you've got any other thoughts, please let me know and I'll pass them on to her.
Jul 2013
2:26pm, 23 Jul 2013
10,933 posts
  •  
What The Actual Fleecy
Metronome?
Jul 2013
2:31pm, 23 Jul 2013
120 posts
  •  
mrsdistraction
Get a more communicative running partner who is better at pacing her?
Jul 2013
2:32pm, 23 Jul 2013
166 posts
  •  
Podkin
If you have the nike plus app on a phone with gps, it can be set to give you spoken updates on current pace every half a mile. It seems accurate when compared with a garmin so might be an option.
Jul 2013
2:42pm, 23 Jul 2013
331 posts
  •  
Moleshome
I've found that counting the rhythm to myself helps maintain a fairly stable pace but also helps with my breathing.

The Runkeeper app can be set to provide audio feedback triggered by either time (1 - 30 minutes) or distance (0.5 - 10 miles/kms). Audio feedback on each of these triggers can select from any or all of Time, Distance, Avg Pace/speed, current pace/speed, current split pace/speed, avg heart rate, current heart rate, average hr zone and current hr zone.

How a totally blind person operates a smartphone is left as an exercise for the reader.
Jul 2013
3:42pm, 23 Jul 2013
5,487 posts
  •  
Footpad
I agree with getting a running partner who listens to what is needed and asks if they are doing the right pace. It takes little effort to talk doesn't it?

If needed I will run with them!
Jul 2013
3:53pm, 23 Jul 2013
20,516 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was speaking to a wife of a friend at the weekend, who is keen to get into guide running. Certainly one of things I said to her is that it is important to be able to help the blind person with their desired pacing, as well preventing them falling down holes or running into bollards. Really surprised that the guide runner isn't doing this.

I would expert there are phone based apps now, like Podkin says, that will do it. But I don't know of a GPS watch which read out pace. The Garmin does have audible alerts for thresholds though where it will beep when at you when you stray outside (too fast and too slow, I think). Let me look it up... :-)G
Jul 2013
3:59pm, 23 Jul 2013
10,445 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Does the guide runner not have a Garmin? Maybe agree the pace per mile before you start running with your guide.
Jul 2013
4:00pm, 23 Jul 2013
23,644 posts
  •  
Old Croc
there is a blind guy on here - really sorry cant remember name - hopefully he may be able to offer some advice?
Jul 2013
4:00pm, 23 Jul 2013
20,517 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
YEah, found it, for the Garmin Forerunner 305 (sure the newer ones will do it too) p10 of manual.

Using Pace Alerts
Pace alerts notify you if you exceed or drop below a certain pace. The pace alert takes advantage of pace zones, which are ranges of pace that you can store in the Forerunner.

That's it isn't it? :-)G

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi folks - I've had this request from a blind runner who's having trouble with pacing:

"I'm ...