Hello to Jason Isaacs

5 lurkers | 73 watchers
Aug 2020
8:20pm, 16 Aug 2020
30,429 posts
  •  
Seratonin
Caught up with Jo Jo Rabbit last night. At first I was skeptical about the premise of a film with Adolf Hitler as an imaginary friend. However, it is a real hoot. Funny but also a great way of portraying how Hitler brainwashed the nation and also the idiocy of war.
Aug 2020
8:48am, 28 Aug 2020
8,292 posts
  •  
GordonG
Tenet

saw it last night and i'm still getting my head around it. You can use all the adjectives you usually include in a Nolan film: fast/clever/loud/thought-provoking... and bottom line is that it's a really good sci fi film.

couple of minor criticisms: some key conversations take place while the characters are wearing masks and there's lots of noisy action going on, meaning I couldn't understand what people were saying.

And yes, you will come away thinking, "I understood that. No, wait... um....". It's best to see it with someone else so afterwards you can talk about what's happened.

Non-spoiler thought about an aspect of the plot that might help you get your head around it all - Red Dwarf fans, think: "The Sensational Reverse Brothers"...
Aug 2020
9:05am, 28 Aug 2020
35,880 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Cool, looking forward to it Gordong. I saw review which said the sci-fi part of it wasn't *quite* as compelling as you wanted it to be, but still satisfying, nonetheless. :-) G
Aug 2020
9:06am, 28 Aug 2020
35,881 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
By the way, how did you find the cinema experience in CV19 times?
Aug 2020
9:16am, 28 Aug 2020
9,707 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Off to the cinema tomorrow evening to see ‘Tenet’. I’m expecting to have my mind twisted beyond measure. We’ve gone for the 6pm show to give me a fighting chance of making sense of it!
Aug 2020
9:18am, 28 Aug 2020
37,047 posts
  •  
Nellers
I haven't seen it yet. I thought it was brilliant. ;-)
Aug 2020
9:30am, 28 Aug 2020
8,293 posts
  •  
GordonG
very good Nellers!

Happy - there were just 8 of us in a fairly large screen, and oddly six of us had seats within two rows of each other and the rest of the cinema was empty. I honestly think everyone took their masks off when the lights went down!

my biggest concern was that it absolutely bucketed down on the way to the cinema so I ended up sat in a seat for all that time in dripping wet jeans. in hindsight, I fell sorry for anyone who went to the late night showing and sat in that seat.

And another 'in hindsight': I think the film is designed so that you can't really get your head round the sci fi element of it at the time anyway, so don't worry if you don't fully understand the plot at the time.
Aug 2020
10:07am, 28 Aug 2020
37,049 posts
  •  
Nellers
MiniMe went to see it yesterday too GordonG. He loved it although he suspects he didn't quite understand it all and wants to see it again to check.

Not having seen it I inadvertently gave him a bit of help in tracing the plot, he says, when I told him about Robbie Collins' description of it being like a spiral bound notepad with the scene playing in to the middle then back out again the other side, but if you close the notebook it's all happening parallel rather than in opposition to, or something like that.

I don't think that's a spoiler as he said it on the radio. If it is then I apologise on Robbie's behalf.
Aug 2020
10:36am, 28 Aug 2020
8,294 posts
  •  
GordonG
and it's also not a spoiler to say that it's not a story about time travel, rather it's about reality being palindromic. Imagine you go through a gate and everything you've experienced up to that point happens again but in reverse. Only, you're still going forwards, watching everyone else walking and talking backwards, because you see life from your own perspective. And because you've already experienced this life, you know what's going to happen (or, rather, what did happen).

like I say, that's not a spoiler but it does help you understand the pseudo science mumbo jumbo elements of the story.
Aug 2020
4:02pm, 28 Aug 2020
3,876 posts
  •  
z1000jeff
I saw a review that said the sound was optimised for certain types of cinema and their sound systems. The louds are excruciatingly loud and the quiets are intentionally a bit muffled. All true ! I liked it though but had my fingers in my ears at a few bits. I want to see it again though so I'll be taking ear plugs next time as I don't think my local Cineworld's audio did it any favours.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
A series of still images which, when shown on a screen, create the illusion of moving image.

Here is a Wiki, the fiendish creation of HappyG(rrr)
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=538

Here, you can record your recommendations (or otherwise!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you ever need to know if something is available on streaming, I can recommend justwatch.com

It tells you which platforms things are on and whether they are free and if not, gives their rental and purchase prices