Hello, I'm new. How do I find good trails to run on?

3 watchers
Feb 2017
12:42pm, 20 Feb 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
Permanent_Rose
I've recently moved to a lovely part of the country and now that spring is coming it would be nice to get off the pavement.

I've checked lots of route finders and there's hardly any trails listed anywhere near me, although there must be thousands of actual trails around these hills.

What do I do, look on an OS map or something? Or is it a case of just going out and hoping I don't come to a muddy dead end?
Feb 2017
12:45pm, 20 Feb 2017
121 posts
  •  
Claypole
Hi PR

I got myself an OS map - one of these detailed ones that's kind of waterproof and just had a look for footpaths really.
Took it with me when I ran for the first few outings until i discovered the routes.

Best of luck with your trail finding adventures.
:-)
Feb 2017
12:50pm, 20 Feb 2017
6,285 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
When I moved to where I live I bought the local OS map and studied all the local footpaths (or you can get the OS subscription online which gives you all the maps plus you can take them with you on the app but I like paper maps!!)

You might also find some 'permissive paths' under the countryside stewardship agreement (not sure if it is still called that) where farmers have connected up public paths with permissive paths which wouldn't necessarily be shown on a map - you can find them by searching here cwr.naturalengland.org.uk

Good luck
Feb 2017
1:12pm, 20 Feb 2017
1,329 posts
  •  
StuHolmes
Where's The Path wtp2.appspot.com is very good. You can layer or view side by side OS maps, Open Street Maps, Google maps and satellite views.

Or sometimes I use strava heatmap labs.strava.com to see where other runners have gone.
Feb 2017
1:13pm, 20 Feb 2017
530 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
You might also find in your local branch of Waterstones/WH Smith/ others - footpath guides for walkers. Quite often these will be way-marked and of varying lengths - and often these are looped.
Feb 2017
1:19pm, 20 Feb 2017
8,333 posts
  •  
Maz Heeps
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/routes-public.php

will show any routes local to you as logged by Fetchies..... you wil have to change your postcode to your new location in settings....
Feb 2017
1:22pm, 20 Feb 2017
97 posts
  •  
megster
The OS map app (mines on an iPhone, I assume it's available on other phones) is fantastic, the maps, depending on the resolution, are between 79p & £2.99.
You can track your progress as you go meaning even I couldn't get lost and there's also a way to plot a route before you go.
Feb 2017
1:22pm, 20 Feb 2017
859 posts
  •  
mbln
You could try fetch's own route tool - http://www.fetcheveryone.com/routes-public.php. It'll show you routes that other users have plotted in your local area.

Welcome to fetch :)
Feb 2017
9:17pm, 20 Feb 2017
14,585 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
The thing about running off-road is that you are a free spirit, responsible for finding your own way. Get the OS map (1:25k) and enjoy yourself by employing trial and error!
Feb 2017
9:17pm, 20 Feb 2017
14,586 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
and welcome to Fetch!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've recently moved to a lovely part of the country and now that spring is coming it would be nice ...