Hello, I'm new. How do I find good trails to run on?

3 watchers
Feb 2017
9:55pm, 20 Feb 2017
1,380 posts
  •  
FurryHamster
gb mapometer uses open street map as a base it is a bit hit and miss but combined with as os map you can plot you own routes. the website allows you to search. i used to run with os map 1:25000 or explorer maps are best as they show fences. now use phone with osfree map ( can't remember what its called) for android as it drops a point exactly where you are. any issues on public footpaths report to council right of way team to sort.
Feb 2017
11:20pm, 20 Feb 2017
13,126 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Been looking at that Str*v* heatmap, StuHolmes, fascinating. Shows some bits upcountry from me where I have suspected there was a navigable route must have one and also that someone (I suspect, one person, quite often) is running round the windfarms. And that on some well used paths near me, no-one has logged anything.
Feb 2017
12:02am, 21 Feb 2017
7 posts
  •  
/skn
Maybe the strava thing doesn't show *everyone* but it seems to only show roads and paths. I run completely off the beaten track (with permission from the farmer) and it's wonderful. Farmer gets free reports of broken fences, escaped cows etc and I get to run without risk of any humans seeing me in tights.
zp
Feb 2017
1:09am, 21 Feb 2017
271 posts
  •  
zp
strava heatmap shows *everything*; it cares only about GPS position and has no notion of rights of way, roads, footpaths, bridleways, sheep trods, open fell, motorway etc. All that matters is whether the activity is logged as a run or a bike. I run sufficiently far off the beaten track there are no footpaths noted on any map (and miles from any farms too, if that matters) and I can see my route - albeit faintly - on strava heatmaps.

As practical advice to the OP, OSM Outdoors maps show paths that don't appear on OS maps - although a path on the map does not necessarily mean a path on the ground!
Feb 2017
7:38am, 21 Feb 2017
8 posts
  •  
/skn
No sign of me on strava but just spotted it's from 2015. Which of course makes sense as it'd be an insane piece of software to display everything from everyone live.

Very interesting though!
Feb 2017
8:15am, 21 Feb 2017
1,555 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
When I moved, I managed to track down a local walking group on the internet and they publish their walking routes for all to see.

That was a good starting point, but I've since moved onto just checking out all the local footpaths on the OS map - maybe I'm lucky but I've yet to find a marked footpath that wasn't accessible. Muddy and waterlogged sometimes, but still accessible.
Feb 2017
8:23am, 21 Feb 2017
1,556 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
There are some very weird traces near me on strava heatmaps - this is the run only view. There is a gliding club around there so I guess it's something to do with that.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've recently moved to a lovely part of the country and now that spring is coming it would be nice ...