Heel Striking

1 watcher
Sep 2012
6:46pm, 25 Sep 2012
1,272 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
Canute, I agree with that definitely. All I do is get people to improve their posture and increase the cadence a bit. The rest happens subconsciously. That being said, it is quite difficult for most especially those that are used to stooping forwards a lot - i.e. desk bound workers.
Sep 2012
10:33pm, 25 Sep 2012
5,409 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Science of Sport as ever are the lone voices of sanity on this subject sportsscientists.com

"It was performed at the 2004 Sapporro International Half Marathon in Japan. The scientists set up a high speed camera (very important for accurate collection of information - beats YouTube science any day!) at the 15km mark of the race, and captured most of the runners coming through. In total, they were able to observe the foot strike of 248 men and 35 women, and characterize them as either heel-strikers, mid-foot or forefoot strikers. They also measured Ground Contact Time at the 15km point.

The vast majority (75%) of the elite runners land on the heel

About 1 in four (24%) runners landed on the mid-foot

Only 4 out of 283 runners landed on the forefoot"
Sep 2012
8:24am, 26 Sep 2012
21,111 posts
  •  
cabletow
Probably best to raise the camera up and look at the knees - it does not matter which part of the foot strikes the ground - It is not striking the ground that is important - (Although it is much better to land softly and lightly and the term strike is a clue). What is important is landing on a bent knee and not reaching too far in front of you

Heel strikers tend to heel strike because they are reaching too far in front - and this is characterised by a straight knee and a big impact.

elite runners all land closer to their body on a bent knee - and their heel strokes the ground first -but it is not a strike.

Often the volume button can give a clue - making you tube science more valid than the camera - as the big slap of a strike is missing from the tap of the elite.
Sep 2012
8:32am, 26 Sep 2012
5,446 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
On the flipside, I don't feel I run 'normally' on a treadmill - it's a really artificial environment. I find my footsteps sound massively amplified there - whereas when running in the street I'm generally fairly quiet (well, I certainly feel like I'm quiet)

I'm probably running all wrong. I'm only an amateur, not ever going to trouble the faster members of clubs.
Sep 2012
9:23am, 26 Sep 2012
14,200 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
Good point from CT about running softly, it was a joy to run with the Juniors the other night as the group of four were all in ninja mode and all I could here was a soft 'tap-tap-tap'
Sep 2012
10:07am, 26 Sep 2012
1,273 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
JK, I find the treadmill is a very good tool to help people to get the feel for landing correctly and showing them what landing badly feels and sounds like.
When I look at my videos it looks like I'm about to land on heel but I actually land on forefoot and take full weight there.

The sound of landing is always a very good clue as to what is going on.
Sep 2012
10:08am, 26 Sep 2012
224 posts
  •  
AndrewS
I heart ninja running!
It is achievable on a treadmill and I reckon the treadie is a good place to practice because it amplifies the sound.
Another thing I do on the treadmill is to use my water bottle as a guide. I tend to have the ipod on so I can't hear the sound so much. I have the water bottle in the little holder-thingy and try and make the water slosh around as little as possible.
Sep 2012
10:19am, 26 Sep 2012
6,646 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I'm pretty sure that a few paces videoed on a treadmill in a shop would not be a typical representaion of my running style.
When I look at photos of me running, I see all types of landing. Some more heel, some mid, some fore. It depends a lot on where in the race the pic was taken. Mid race, where I am in the groove, more midfooot and relaxed knee and ankle. In the last 50m when most race pics are taken, and I'm busting a gut for the line, my style is all to hell.
Runners in my group at club say I'm quiet on my feet, which I think is a good sign ? Some people are definitely slappers ( meaning noisy, not any other sort of slapper)
Sep 2012
10:36am, 26 Sep 2012
5,410 posts
  •  
The_Saint
So many opinions, so little evidence based argument, entirely reminiscent of proponents of homeopathy.
Sep 2012
10:58am, 26 Sep 2012
6,647 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
It's like the Judean Peoples Front/ Peoples Front of Judea/Popular front for the liberation of Judea in Life of Brian.
While most people sit on their arse eating donuts, we like to argue about how you foot should be when it touches the ground.

About This Thread

Maintained by JamieKai *chameleon*
Hello,

I had some brief gait analysis today whilst buying a new pair of trainers, and the video c...