Heel pain - “bone odema”

1 watcher
Dec 2018
9:07am, 23 Dec 2018
179 posts
  •  
Non-runner
After four months of heel pain I dragged myself to a podiatrist who said it was probably a bone odema, or water and bleeding in the heel bone, a repetitive overuse injury that could develop into a stress fracture without total rest (no weight bearing exercise at all). A bit depressing as I was only doing 20 miles a week light jogging and had taken up walking as it was less painful. Also, with no car I have to walk to the shops etc so it will be a long haul. Has anyone else had this and did you recover?
Dec 2018
10:57am, 23 Dec 2018
24,997 posts
  •  
DingDongMerrilyDaisy
Have you been offered an air boot or even crutches non-runner? I've never heard of that condition but as I have no medical knowledge knowledge that's not surprising ;-) However in your circs I think I would b
Dec 2018
11:00am, 23 Dec 2018
24,998 posts
  •  
DingDongMerrilyDaisy
Oops phone playing up... I would be asking the NHS for some help. You can self refer to the hospital physiotherapy department here, you might be able to do that where you are, and perhaps they can assist?

Good luck, as a fellow occupang of the injury bench I understand your frustration!
Dec 2018
6:16pm, 23 Dec 2018
180 posts
  •  
Non-runner
Hi Daisy, to be honest I feel a bit guilty about bothering the NHS with something quite possibly self-inflicted, hence the private podiatrist, but I think you are right and I will have to approach my GP with a suitably humble aspect, given how busy they are...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Non-runner
After four months of heel pain I dragged myself to a podiatrist who said it was probably a bone odem...