Hedgehog watch and other nocturnal garden visitors

17 watchers
Dec 2020
4:33pm, 2 Dec 2020
13,858 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
The food in our feeding station is going down very slowly and when you look at it there are definite crumbs rather than the whole chunks of food that went out so something is eating it, but whatever it is isn't as hungry as the hogs were a month or so ago. The bowl in the open goes down much faster but we know that cats, foxes and magpies all like it so I'm tempted to blame them.
Dec 2020
4:35pm, 2 Dec 2020
6,788 posts
  •  
Meeps
Nothing has been to eat from our bowls for a week now, we do have a magpie though that keeps taking the bird coconut down off the fence and taking it around the garden!
Dec 2020
5:00pm, 2 Dec 2020
6,823 posts
  •  
Eynsham the Red Knows Rain Dear
I generally leave a fairly neat pile of food down in the feed station, and generally it all goes just lately. If we’ve not had a hog visitor, the food is often a little messy in the morning, and this is due to a mouse who comes into the feeder and takes a crumb of food and then runs off with it. It returns several times during the night, hence the mess.
Dec 2020
8:40pm, 2 Dec 2020
31,114 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
We have a couple of mice too, they are usually busy collecting acorns :-)
Dec 2020
9:44am, 3 Dec 2020
6,826 posts
  •  
In retrospect it might have been interesting to note when hedgehogs stopped visiting, so theoretically went into hibernation.
Here, in West Oxfordshire, we’ve only had one mild frost so far, and daytime temperatures haven’t been below 3-4C.
I’m assuming that the more Northerly hedgehogs would have started hibernation earlier than down here.
Dec 2020
9:45am, 3 Dec 2020
6,827 posts
  •  
Mrs J, do you know whether your hog house has a resident at the moment, albeit not coming out for food?
Dec 2020
12:01pm, 3 Dec 2020
31,117 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
We have had a resident since installing the hog house a couple of months or so ago, I assume he/she is still there.
Dec 2020
7:31am, 5 Dec 2020
13,867 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
We clearly have hard as nails northern hedgehogs. I haven't been putting the camera out regularly recently but it was out last night and caught the hedgehog visiting the feeding station. He's not eating as much - only a couple of shots and a bowl of food now lasts several days - but he's still awake!
Dec 2020
6:30am, 20 Dec 2020
6,915 posts
  •  
Any ideas what hedgehogs might like in their Christmas stocking? I’m going to have to leave one out on Christmas Eve at this rate.
Despite the unpleasant weather, it’s still not been very cold here and the hog is still feeding regularly.
Dec 2020
8:13am, 20 Dec 2020
13,881 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Same here. We were considering renaming the hedgehog Rudolph and leaving some food out for it on Christmas Eve...

About This Thread

Register sightings and learn more here hedgehogstreet.org