Hedgehog watch and other nocturnal garden visitors

17 watchers
May 2021
4:01pm, 21 May 2021
19,815 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My WFH desk is at my lounge window and looks on to my drive and garden. For a while now I have thought I saw some fast movement, but was never sure if it was imagined, small birds or leaves blowing in the wind.

This week however I have managed to actually see mice on quite a few occasions. They seem to scuttle from my neighbours garden on the right and head to the neighbour on the left.

They are so fast it is quite hard to actually catch and follow them and of course they get under cover of plants. There is a small wall that is c6 inches high and they actually jump on to that from about a foot away. I even saw one mistime its jump and fall short before it just climbed up without any trouble.

Thankfully none in the house as far as I know but not sure if I should just hope that is the case, or should I worry and try to deal with the mice ? I am guessing they have always been there and although over the 20 years I have bee here sightings have been infrequent until this last week.
May 2021
4:45pm, 21 May 2021
7,609 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
We have a few mice that pinch food from the hedgehog feeding station. I’m not really that bothered as they were there before we started feeding the hedgehog I presume and there is no other issues or mess made by them. They are really fast though!
Now, if it was rats, that would be a different issue!
May 2021
4:53pm, 21 May 2021
19,818 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My dads neighbour had rats. Or so he thought. Turned out my dad feeding the birds had brought the rats round.
May 2021
8:44am, 31 May 2021
7,642 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Baby starlings in the hedgehog feeding station!

I’m not sure that they liked the food because they didn’t return.
May 2021
5:23pm, 31 May 2021
40 posts
  •  
Neil_E_There
Checked the Camera the other day and had a Hedgehog visit mid April, with a mouse putting in a cameo soon after.
May 2021
7:11pm, 31 May 2021
11,924 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
After a week away wasn't sure if the food would go but both dished emptied within half an hour of putting them out.
Jun 2021
11:56pm, 1 Jun 2021
992 posts
  •  
honestmackem
Just had this little fella in my garden... loves dried mealworms

Jun 2021
9:27am, 2 Jun 2021
7,652 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Super photos H
Jun 2021
10:05am, 2 Jun 2021
14,094 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Nice hog :)

Our hedgehog activity has calmed down a bit - we were away for a week or so last week and while we are still getting visits they're not spending as much of the night here. The bowl of food that's not in their feeding station is all still disappearing though as the fox is becoming quite regular. (When they were particularly hungry I got in the habit of giving them two bowls - one protected and one outside. I quite like seeing the fox on the videos so the outside bowl has remained).
Jun 2021
1:09pm, 2 Jun 2021
8,486 posts
  •  
Meeps
Nice pics

About This Thread

Register sightings and learn more here hedgehogstreet.org