Hedgehog watch and other nocturnal garden visitors

17 watchers
Mar 2021
10:44am, 8 Mar 2021
19,137 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Taking advantage of spring type weather I was out tidying the garden at the weekend. I observed in one of our pots that an egg was buried within the compost which confused me.

In years gone by I have seen various cracked eggs around the garden. A bit of googling suggests foxed might raid nests they find, eat a few eggs and stash others for a future meal.

Thing is these look like chicken egg type size and I am not aware of anyone nearby who has chickens so not sure where the fox will have sourced these eggs from.
Mar 2021
1:21pm, 8 Mar 2021
19,141 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Mrs Axe has found on a local facebook page that we are not the only ones with hens eggs stashed in our gardens. The consensus seems to be that either someone is leaving eggs out for the foxes or someone is getting an early morning egg delivery to which the foxes are helping themselves !
Mar 2021
9:35pm, 15 Mar 2021
8 posts
  •  
Neil_E
We had a Hedgehog visit the garden late last year but no sightings yet this year.

Bought a Victure HC400 in January and running with EBL rechargeable batteries which are lasting well.

So far picked up Pigeon, Sparrow, Blackbird, Starling, Thrush, Robin, Wren, Squirrel & Mouse but no Hedgehog yet.

Video is pretty good quality and sound great.
Mar 2021
8:15am, 16 Mar 2021
7,813 posts
  •  
Meeps
Camera picked up that we had 2 hogs last night, one was in the feeding box, the other went in and started biffing the other one with it's nose to try and move it away from the food!
Mar 2021
8:16am, 16 Mar 2021
14,037 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Our small one wandered off for a few days and only the big one was coming (and not eating that much). This morning all the food had gone and sure enough little one is back and munching away. Clearly a growing hedgehog!
Mar 2021
8:41am, 16 Mar 2021
19,219 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Our camera has stopped working which is annoying and Mrs Axe saw a badger wander down our street the other night :-)
Mar 2021
4:01pm, 22 Mar 2021
14,038 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
We apparently had a non-nocturnal fox visit this afternoon (I was on a call at the time so missed it).

Hedgehogs are still nice and active, at the moment they seem to be more interested in drinking than eating. Although it's not hugely warm it has been relatively dry for the last week or so, so they're definitely appreciating their water bowl.
Mar 2021
7:45pm, 22 Mar 2021
31,623 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Still waiting for signs of life from our visitors, wondering if the hog house is still occupied.
Mar 2021
8:49pm, 22 Mar 2021
60 posts
  •  
The wee beastie
Thanks for the camera advice I was given a few weeks ago. After a bit of trial and error I was really pleased to get some clear photos last night that confirm it is a hedgehog that I have been feeding.
Mar 2021
9:00pm, 22 Mar 2021
7,881 posts
  •  
Meeps

About This Thread

Register sightings and learn more here hedgehogstreet.org