Hedgehog watch and other nocturnal garden visitors

17 watchers
Oct 2020
9:36am, 8 Oct 2020
30,703 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
We have had hedgehogs visiting our garden for the last 2 months, had suspected but not seen any before early August, having installed a couple of cameras we now realise we have at least two and suspect there are three, we also have a fox and a mouse visiting :-)

This is a useful website, you are encouraged to log any sightings.

hedgehogstreet.org
Oct 2020
9:56am, 8 Oct 2020
8,352 posts
  •  
GordonG
Lovely. did you encourage the hedgehogs by building a box or did they just arrive?
Oct 2020
9:58am, 8 Oct 2020
27,303 posts
  •  
HellsBells
No hedgehogs here but regular badgers, foxes, mice and occasional muntjac
Oct 2020
9:58am, 8 Oct 2020
30,704 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
They just arrived G, I bought a feeding station and Jigs has built a hog house, a hog took up residence immediately it was installed.
Oct 2020
9:59am, 8 Oct 2020
30,705 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
ooh, badgers, I think I may have seen some of your pics HB :-)
Oct 2020
10:03am, 8 Oct 2020
27,304 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I suspect the badgers are the reason we have no hogs - they are particularly fond of eating hedgehog
Oct 2020
10:11am, 8 Oct 2020
30,706 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
The house that Jigs built

Oct 2020
10:25am, 8 Oct 2020
13,796 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
We have hedgehogs too :) There are at least two of them and one of them uses the hedgehog house.

I wanted to try to attract hedgehogs as there are definitely some in the area so my OH bought me a house for my birthday back in May. Literally 2 nights before my birthday and after the hedgehog house had been arrived but I hadn't seen it we spotted one on the wildlife camera. Like Mrs Jigs the house got occupied far faster than I expected.

We also have mice and the occasional fox (although it doesn't come that often - we had a new lawn laid last year and got some scarers to stop it digging it up while the lawn bedded in. Although we've now taken them back in the fox seems to have moved elsewhere).
Oct 2020
10:25am, 8 Oct 2020
13,797 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Over summer the two hedgehogs spent a lot of time grunting at each other but now mating season is over and it's more about feeding up for winter they quite often sit next to each other feeding from the same bowl.
Oct 2020
10:28am, 8 Oct 2020
30,709 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Yes, feeding now is really important, cat or dog meat and cat biscuits, the better they eat now the more likely they will survive the winter.

YP, Jigs spotted a hedgehog late one afternoon in early August so I treated myself to a hog feeding station for ny birthday :-)

About This Thread

Register sightings and learn more here hedgehogstreet.org