Heathen unbelievers - BBQ here

64 watchers
Jun 2019
2:04pm, 14 Jun 2019
5,830 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Bounce - I'd forgotten I'd started this one. It would be slightly awkward if I'd found Jesus/Allah/FSM since then*.

*Spoiler: I haven't yet...
Jun 2019
2:20pm, 25 Jun 2019
31,901 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
LoL!
Jun 2019
2:43pm, 29 Jun 2019
34,442 posts
  •  
Nellers
Have you seen that the Dalai Lama has said that if the next Dalai Lama is female she'll have to be attractive or men won't want to look at her.

Religion eh? It's so liberal and positive about stuff. Cool.
Jun 2019
4:02pm, 29 Jun 2019
8,632 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
What's the Dalai lama's favourite pizza ? He likes One with Everything.
Jan 2021
9:26pm, 14 Jan 2021
37,999 posts
  •  
Nellers
bbc.co.uk

A plane crashed. The pilot is stable after surgery. The plane missed nearby houses. According to the town supervisor "God's Blessings" clearly played a role in preventing the plane from hitting the houses.

Apparently it didn't play enough of a role to stop it crashing in the first place putting the pilot in hospital though. Was the pilot a heathen like us and God just thought "Well f&ck him then!"?

Or, and I'm going out on a limb even suggesting this, maybe the pilot steered away from the houses himself and isn't being given the credit he deserves.
Jan 2021
9:40pm, 14 Jan 2021
6,496 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Funny, I was just thinking about this thread for the first time in a very long time. Nellers and I must have an astral connection or something 😉.

Actually, I was idly wondering on this morning's run commute about the amazing coincidence that every true believer, no matter their religion, sect, sub-sect, denomination etc is always doing religion the right way, while almost everyone else among the world's 8 billion people is not.

I think I've been hearing too much about the mental gymnastics of Trump's 'Christian' support base of late.
Jan 2021
7:51am, 15 Jan 2021
38,000 posts
  •  
Nellers
If it's in their good book it must be true (except the bits they don't like. On those they're guided by their conscience, or lack of one.)
Jan 2021
9:27am, 15 Jan 2021
37,092 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was watching Vicar of Dibley, Lockdown edition from last year (quite funny, see BBC iPlayer). The wag writers had the vicar doing a Zoom chat with some schoolkids (and a teacher who looked about 12 herself, but that's not the joke). Geraldine asks what miracles did Jesus do, and after kids saying could he fly like Marvel characters etc she said no, but he raised a man called Lazarus from the dead. Actually brought him back to life. One of the kids then asked "How many did he do?" The vicar said just the one, and the kid pointed out if you can stop people dying why didn't he do it all the time? "I'd have done hundreds" the kid said....

Cue puzzled vicar (character). Lol!

Catch all is of course "God moves in mysterious ways" and "We don't always understand God's plan" and all that. Gets you out of any argument.

Just a quick reminder, over 85% (estimates vary but 70-90%) of the population of this funny little planet, do believe in an all powerful deity, so actually, we "rational" thinkers are actually a very small minority...!

Lots of love, Me, :-) G
Jan 2021
9:31am, 15 Jan 2021
18,586 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
85% is quite frighteningly large percentage of people.

I understand why going way back in time people had a need to believe in a higher power but find it hard to understand that way of thinking right now.
Jan 2021
9:34am, 15 Jan 2021
516 posts
  •  
Big_G
The one that gets me is, after a bereavement, believers saying "it's what God wanted", or "she's in a better place now". Trying not to swear on here, but answers along the lines of "She was very happy here with me, thanks very much" (sprinkled with a few expletives) tended not to help a) my blood pressure or b) the friendship, I found.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dooogs
Given the amount of posters on the God Botherers thread, I might be in here by myself...

(please ...