Heat training

5 watchers
J2R
Jun 2015
2:19pm, 26 Jun 2015
98 posts
  •  
J2R
In the summer, one of the things which can affect race performance is warm temperatures on the day, which you're not fully used to yet. Does anyone else here do specific training to acclimatize for this?

I've just been out and done something bizarre. I put on warm running tights and two tops, a long-sleeved one over a T-shirt, and went out for an easy paced 4 miler at the hottest point of the day, in an attempt to get my body a little more used to warmer temperatures so that if it's warm for a 10K race on Sunday it won't be such a shock. I'm wondering, though, whether this might mean I'm on the verge of going insane.
Jun 2015
2:38pm, 26 Jun 2015
1,089 posts
  •  
Spleen
Personally I train for running the heat by running in the heat :-) Is it really necessary to simulate hot conditions when the real thing will come along soon enough?

I'm not sure how much the body can actually "acclimatise" to heat over a short time period. I'm racing tomorrow and if it's hot (which it probably will be), I'll run slower and drink more water than I would if it was 10 degrees. But that's not really acclimatisation, that's just adapting - I would do that whether it was the first hot day of the year or whether it had been hot for weeks.

And until the race day is a few days away (by which time it's too late to do any real acclimatising), you don't know what the weather is going to be anyway. There's not much point making yourself uncomfortable trying to simulate a 25C day in training when the race day could easily be a mild 15C.
Jun 2015
2:42pm, 26 Jun 2015
16,527 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I have a friend who ran the MdS this year. I know he trained for running in the desert by jogging on a race horse gallops which is very soft sand. I *think* he did some heat training too but cannot remember what (it was possibly on a treadmill with the central heating turned up high). I'll if I can find out anything more specifically
J2R
Jun 2015
3:26pm, 26 Jun 2015
99 posts
  •  
J2R
Spleen, is it really necessary to train at all for a race when the real thing will come along soon enough? :) I prefer to do as much adaptation as I can beforehand, so my times aren't screwed up on the day. The weather forecast is predicting temperatures similar to today.
Jun 2015
3:43pm, 26 Jun 2015
56,368 posts
  •  
Gobi
J2R - I would question if making yourself warm and running in the sun are the same things.

I know when I was racing in South Africa as prep here in England I start doing a lot of my hard efforts in my lunch breaks
Jun 2015
3:48pm, 26 Jun 2015
1,401 posts
  •  
EarlyRiser
Are you on the verge of going insane? Yes. :)

Seriously, what could you gain? Adaptation? No. No time. And any way, what kind of adaptation? Acclimatization? In our climate?! You must have raced in hot weather before and know what it's like.

I think you're taking the michael. ;-)

Could shave your legs I suppose ...
Jun 2015
3:53pm, 26 Jun 2015
56,369 posts
  •  
Gobi
LOL ER - I'm a cyclist - NUFF SAID
J2R
Jun 2015
3:55pm, 26 Jun 2015
100 posts
  •  
J2R
Same point again. I've raced up hills before and know what that's like. But doing more of it before doing a race means you're better prepared for the race. But I take your point about there being insufficient time. And about my being on the verge of going insane.
Jun 2015
5:03pm, 26 Jun 2015
1,090 posts
  •  
Spleen
At the risk of being pedantic, because I'm not saying anything you don't know - running up a hill causes physical changes in your body which make it better at going up hills. Putting on lots of clothes doesn't cause any physical changes which make it better at running in the heat. At least, not if you only do it once or twice in the week leading up to this race.

But if you gain a mental benefit from having had a "hot" run before the race itself, more power to you. Personally I hate extra clothing (it has to be well below zero before I would even consider running tights), and I like to think I can already guess what it will feel like when I'm racing in 20C heat tomorrow and adapt accordingly. But each to their own.
J2R
Jun 2015
5:31pm, 26 Jun 2015
101 posts
  •  
J2R
I am doubtful it can make a difference in such a short time. But there's some adaptation we do as the seasons change and I'm not sure whether that's a physical change in the body, or a mental change, but that's what I'm thinking of. A day when it's 15 degrees in early March feels like it's scorching hot, and it definitely affects one's running. But come July and 15 degrees feels a bit chilly. So what's actually changed?

About This Thread

Maintained by J2R
In the summer, one of the things which can affect race performance is warm temperatures on the day, ...