We don't hide behind a paywall!

Log and analyse training, find events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more.
Join Fetcheveryone

Heart Rate when training

3 watchers
Oct 2012
11:29am, 4 Oct 2012
8 posts
  •  
  •  
alifrobertson
I've started to increase my training lately hoping that I can hit winter with a good level of fitness, and use this as a springboard for a solid start to my orienteering season in 2013. I'm using a HR monitor regularly now for my training sessions to try and understand what changes my body is going through as I (hopefully) get fitter and faster.
My recent hill/interval workouts have been really hard work, I have pushed myself hard, by my HR has never got above about 165 during any session. I don't think I can push any harder as my legs feel like jelly at end of each interval, especially the latter ones.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I can't push a litter faster/harder without feeling like I'm going to end up in a shaky legged heap on the verge.
Oct 2012
11:37am, 4 Oct 2012
11751 posts
  •  
  •  
fetcheveryone
I'm not sure how to answer your question, but can I say how much I like your avatar :-)
Oct 2012
11:42am, 4 Oct 2012
9 posts
  •  
  •  
alifrobertson
Haha, thanks. I'm trying to get it onto running tees as a nice little earner... here's the link to my wee shop - bulletprooftees.spreadshirt.co.uk
It just came to me on a run whilst listening to my running playlist. :)
R4R
Oct 2012
12:25pm, 4 Oct 2012
1599 posts
  •  
  •  
R4R
How high do you want it to go? Maybe 165 is your max heart rate
Oct 2012
12:42pm, 4 Oct 2012
11 posts
  •  
  •  
alifrobertson
Maybe it is, how do I know though? Is there a way of finding out?
Oct 2012
9:00pm, 6 Oct 2012
11755 posts
  •  
  •  
fetcheveryone
Usually a hard hill session, or the latter stages of a flat out 5k will give you your max, or pretty close to it.
Oct 2012
1:34pm, 10 Oct 2012
13 posts
  •  
  •  
alifrobertson
I'll try those scenarios out and see how I get on, thanks.
Apr 2016
10:32am, 29 Apr 2016
699 posts
  •  
  •  
steve45
I would think that based on your age alifro that your max HR would be a bit higher than that..mine's 170 and I'm a bit of an old git!
May 2016
7:48pm, 3 May 2016
89 posts
  •  
  •  
olde english
It's not that uncommon. I work backwards as im a simple / bit lazy creature. don't start by hunting 4 ur max HR. Go from ur easy rate. Go for a 45min + normal run (a pace u could keep going at if required) on ur own, don't start measuring ur HRM until ur warmed up (10ish mins). Take that heart rate as your base. Stick 10 % on it for 1/2 mara tempo pace, another 10 % on top of that for hard 10k pace. Ur recovery rate knock 10 % of ur base rate. Simple.
May 2016
7:13pm, 7 May 2016
728 posts
  •  
  •  
steve45
sounds a pretty good approach olde English.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by alifrobertson
I've started to increase my training lately hoping that I can hit winter with a good level of fitne...