Heart rate query from newbie

1 watcher
Dec 2016
10:52pm, 25 Dec 2016
204 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Hello after some advice really. After the last 6 months being a bit ad hoc with running I have decided to try a running streak to get into out again. Its going OK though its only been a week, however I am finding each run better and am enjoying making the effort. I have increased duration every other day by a min and am now at 18 min.

My resting HR is around 70 . i think i have reasonable baseline fitness. within 2 min of starting my run it seems to go up quite quick and goes beyond my max (calculated by age). Will this improve, I am getting a bit paranoid as I keep dropping the speed on the treadmill but can't run slower then 7.8 which I had to drop to tonight as my HR was creeping above 175. When i make an effort to shorten my stride legnth it helps a bit so i am going to work more on this tomorrow.

It didn't feel like I was on the max but I was working up a sweat!. (I just turned 39 last week so my calculations were still based on age 38). How soon will it improve, or do I naturally have HR that will run faster during times of physical exertion.
Dec 2016
11:21pm, 25 Dec 2016
296 posts
  •  
purephase
Calculating your heart rate by your age is not necessarily an accurate measure and using a heart rate device will not necessarily give you an accurate measure. If you are using a heart rate device that is built into the treadmill then it may not be as accurate as using a high-quality chest strap. Having said that as a beginner I would not really worry about what your heart rate is, run at a comfortable pace and slowly over the months increase your weekly mileage, try and run outside more than on a treadmill and by the spring your base fitness should have increased enough to start thinking about things such as your heart rate and trying to increase your speed and doing harder sessions such as Intervals. Best of luck with your endeavour and hopefully in a few months you will think of yourself as a runner and not someone who does some running.
Dec 2016
9:55am, 26 Dec 2016
205 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Thanks purephase and happy Christmas to you! I have a chest strap monitor, and I've worn it resting hence know its accurate as I measured against my resting HR , think that's why seemed such a shock as within 2 or 3 min of running was well up, I will tryt not to worry about it and over the next couple of weeks gradually increase my distance, I registered for the Lincoln 10 k which is early April. .
I have run since 2011 but the last probably year has been inconsistent, from September to end November I did get out each week. I ran a 5 k circuit with a couple of brief walk breaks.
Dec 2016
1:57pm, 26 Dec 2016
12,820 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I agree with what purephase says, except that if you think your HR is reading correctly, I'd be a bit concerned about that. However, I very much doubt that you are getting proper readings, which is not at all uncommon.

Try sticking your hrm on and going for a brisk walk maybe, see what kind of readings that gives you?
Dec 2016
5:24pm, 26 Dec 2016
206 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Dvorak, it comes down within 10 min of stopping running to about 100, and by keeping a decent walking pace and adding some incline on the treadmill I can keep within a reasonable range 110-120 for the rest of my workout.
Dec 2016
5:45pm, 26 Dec 2016
884 posts
  •  
Dochart
do you have a warm-up routine before starting your runs?
Dec 2016
7:44pm, 26 Dec 2016
207 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
I usually a 5 min warm up walk, and end with at least 5 min brisk walk to finish. My HR doesn't go above 100 until I start running . do you think I mighgt need more warm up?
Dec 2016
9:05pm, 26 Dec 2016
208 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Update from today- tried hard to keep stride shorter and felt better. look longer for my HR to rise too And didn't seem to jump up like before. Stayed at around 120 for first 5min before gradually going up and didn't get higher that 165 which stayed till the 18 min. I managed to keep the speed at 8 tonight without having to drop down. Thanks for all comments :)
Dec 2016
6:30am, 27 Dec 2016
885 posts
  •  
Dochart
Sounds like you've found a solution :)
Dec 2016
7:53am, 27 Dec 2016
278 posts
  •  
Dillthedog57
I would try soaking your hrm strap for a few mins before running too (not the hrm pod though!) because you may be getting spikes which are giving you those high readings. Otherwise I'd agree with purephase, enjoy running and build the miles slowly, don't worry about the pace, that will follow.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by totalbeginner
Hello after some advice really. After the last 6 months being a bit ad hoc with running I have decid...