Heart rate

1 lurker | 298 watchers
Jun 2022
11:17am, 15 Jun 2022
18,062 posts
  •  
larkim
My only reservation is that whilst at the end of the reps I was pretty out of puff I feel I've pushed harder in the past (though achieved lower HRs) so it *felt* like I could have tried to push the HR a bit higher. Though maybe the fact that I didn't is evidence of what I could or couldn't do. Surprised I could hold maxHR for about a minute though +/- 1bpm.
Jun 2022
1:05pm, 15 Jun 2022
735 posts
  •  
Shades
Larkim - if you're even a little bit tired it's much harder to get near MHR, even though you're running as hard as you can and the effort feels like you're giving it 100%.
Jun 2022
10:11am, 16 Jun 2022
18,067 posts
  •  
larkim
That's the odd thing, I was tired and I did manage to push all the way to the MHR. Unless your meaning muscularly fatigued; in which case I'd agree, hard to push all of your systems to the max if the basic muscles aren't playing ball.

I know I don't acclimatise to heat well or quickly so I do loathe the hot summer weather for running; I'm definitely one of those miserable souls who prefers cold, damp and rainy weather!
Jun 2022
1:19pm, 24 Jun 2022
18,142 posts
  •  
larkim
If you run in the heat and your HR is in the "tempo" zone that you'd normally expect to hit when running at a tempo pace, does that workout still "count" as a tempo workout? Or does the compensation that your physiology is trying to do to manage the heat override the normal adaptations that would be engineered by running at a particular HR?
Jun 2022
2:15pm, 24 Jun 2022
22,040 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Noob question, if I may.

I've found that as my post-pandemic fitness is shot, I'm beating myself up training by pace, so I figured I'd have a go at a beginners marathon training plan, downloaded from Garmin, based on heart rate. Plan started this week.

Problem is, I've committed to pacing parkrun tomorrow, and I know it's going to be a higher HR than my planned low-HR long run for this week.

Will it do me any harm in terms of my conditioning during this early phase if I do a bit of an effort tomorrow, or should I bin it off? I want to do the LSR on Sunday morning.
J2R
Jun 2022
2:27pm, 24 Jun 2022
4,243 posts
  •  
J2R
DeeGee, personally I don't think a 5K run at a bit over your planned HR will do any damage, as long as you are not going flat out (which I suspect you won't be, as pacers normally run at a pace they're very comfortable at).
Jun 2022
2:44pm, 24 Jun 2022
2,050 posts
  •  
Brunski
If you run in the heat and your HR is in the "tempo" zone that you'd normally expect to hit when running at a tempo pace, does that workout still "count" as a tempo workout? Or does the compensation that your physiology is trying to do to manage the heat override the normal adaptations that would be engineered by running at a particular HR?

I'd say from a training effect (aerobically) POV it is probably doing what you want it to, and that is your tempo effort on that day. You may be missing out slightly on the feel of running at tempo race though.

I did 2 x 2 mile tempo yesterday on a lumpy loop near home, at the end of the 2nd block I was up very close to Threshold HR. Usually I'd run tempo a bit quicker than that and try to keep the HR a tad lower, so it was a bit of a compromise of both for me.
Jun 2022
2:48pm, 24 Jun 2022
1,680 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
It won't do you harm, as such, but it might affect your ability to do the full LSD next day. Be prepared to take your time, even with some walk breaks to keep the HR right down in the desired zone.
Jun 2022
3:59pm, 24 Jun 2022
18,144 posts
  •  
larkim
Thing is, Brunski, it should have been an easy run :-) not a tempo run!

I'll tick off my tempo plan for the week then on the basis I've done it already, and then hope that I can have a sensible HR zone easy run in its stead!
Jul 2022
8:57pm, 20 Jul 2022
39,598 posts
  •  
Nellers
If anyone remembers my questions after my Coospo chest strap died after only a few months, I sent them some feedback and they’ve sent me a free replacement.

I’m not sure I back them in terms of quality control but I can’t fault their customer service.

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach