Heart rate

1 lurker | 298 watchers
Jun 2022
3:07pm, 8 Jun 2022
27,745 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The graph isn't showing years though. It's the 12 months from your chosen start date (which defaults to the most current 12 months).
Jun 2022
3:10pm, 8 Jun 2022
27,746 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've done a bit more to filter out months with zero data from the bottom graph.
Jun 2022
3:31pm, 8 Jun 2022
18,039 posts
  •  
larkim
oops, my bad! I assumed they were all years rather than months; must have misread the tooltips!

In terms of zero data, does the rest of the page include runs with zero data in the averages? I know it's not possible / realistic / sensible to exclude data which might be "well dodgy" as some HRM data is, but just curious if individual entries with zero data make it into the calculations.
Jun 2022
3:39pm, 8 Jun 2022
27,747 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
They shouldn't be doing so, no.
Jun 2022
3:52pm, 8 Jun 2022
18,040 posts
  •  
larkim
Ta - I've clearly got some odd old data in mine. e.g. fetcheveryone.com/t-9063168 where despite there being HRM data for most of the run it's not until about 3.5 miles into it that a BPM calc comes along. Probably just a legacy issue with an older processing of the runs; I'm not really that interested in Feb 13, but I had fewer entries to look at to cross check the data against!
Jun 2022
12:56pm, 11 Jun 2022
1,505 posts
  •  
Bowman ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
I canโ€™t really figure out my different thresholds and what not.
A few days ago I hit 192 MHR on an all out 5km, and that has been my MHR setting since a while back to. A few years ago I could hit 205, so my MHR has always been in the higher regions.

My watch has me at 172 bpm for the lactate threshold.

But today I could run way over that, at about 95% of my MHR for most of my 10k, and it was not all out. But a good effort for sure.

How do you guys set your MHR, LTH?
Is MHR the highest you reach on a good day, or a few beats over that?
How do you set your LTH? By % of MHR, or by feel at a certain level?
Jun 2022
2:49pm, 11 Jun 2022
733 posts
  •  
Shades
Assuming you're using a chest strap so getting accurate data...if you ran as hard as you could and didn't throw up or need oxygen then definitely add a few beats on.

Your MHR test also needs to be done when you're well rested, not overtired. If you're tired it's hard to get the HR up.

There's a test you can do for LTH, if you Google Matt Fitzgerald .
Jun 2022
2:56pm, 11 Jun 2022
1,506 posts
  •  
Bowman ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
Ok, great, I thought so about the MHR.
Yes Iโ€™ll look in to Matt Fitzgerald, cheers!
Jun 2022
4:13pm, 11 Jun 2022
2,047 posts
  •  
Brunski
172 lactate threshold (or turnpoint) and a 192 max sounds about right - around 90% of your max.

My max is around 168-171 and lactate turnpoint/threshold usually about 149-152.

I'll race a 10k a bit above threshold when we'll trained.
Jun 2022
4:56pm, 11 Jun 2022
1,507 posts
  •  
Bowman ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
Ok, so it might be in the ballpark then.
So to be able to run 10k a bit over LTH, what does that mean then?
That race pace is ok over LTH for a 10k, and manageable?
But if you can be pretty consistent in pace, doesnโ€™t that mean that it does not accumulate lactate to fast to be able to maintain the speed?
But I guess itโ€™s a sliding scale too of course.

I will try to run for a bit at around 172bpm and not more, and se how that feels. In a few days :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach